MacBook vs. MacBook Pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X Lion
Hey,

So it looks like I bought my MacBook right at the cusp of Apple's decision to upgrade the MacBook Pro line and make the base model cheaper than my MacBook! lol

What I was wondering was, do you guys think it would be worth selling my MacBook (2.4 GHZ model) and getting the 13" MacBook Pro? Here are the differences I've picked up, I might have missed a few if you could fill me in.

MacBookPro Pros:

- Better battery life
- SD slot
- FireWire
- Better graphics card? (Can't remember off top of head)

MacBook Pros:

- Bigger HDD
- Slightly faster processor

I reckon I could sell my MacBook and get the new MacBook pro without losing much, if anything at all (Picked up my MacBook $500 cheaper) So do you think it's worth the hassle?

cheers fellas

kznefkt

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Hey,

So it looks like I bought my MacBook right at the cusp of Apple's decision to upgrade the MacBook Pro line and make the base model cheaper than my MacBook! lol

What I was wondering was, do you guys think it would be worth selling my MacBook (2.4 GHZ model) and getting the 13" MacBook Pro? Here are the differences I've picked up, I might have missed a few if you could fill me in.

MacBookPro Pros:

- Better battery life
- SD slot
- FireWire
- Better graphics card? (Can't remember off top of head)

MacBook Pros:

- Bigger HDD
- Slightly faster processor

I reckon I could sell my MacBook and get the new MacBook pro without losing much, if anything at all (Picked up my MacBook $500 cheaper) So do you think it's worth the hassle?

cheers fellas

kznefkt

Glass track pad, brighter LED screen, and illuminated keyboard.

Did your Mac die and stop doing what it's suppose to do just because a newer model is out?

I think that's the important question you need to ask yourself. If you need to be on the cutting edge of technology all the time go for it. You are just kidding yourself in the end though.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
this MacBook has the glass trackpad and illuminated keyboard, but yeah in all instances I would agree with you, but since the new MacBookPro's only just came out at such a cheap price and I'm able to basically replace my MacBook with one at no extra cost, why wouldn't I?

So basically I just want to know if the baseline pro model, is really worth the swap though?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
Do you need an audio input and output at the same time? Because you can't do that with the new 13" pros!!

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wouldn't think I need that, I only ever use the audio input for my external speakers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" alluminum MacBook Pro 2.53
I sold my MacBook 13" 2.4 hours after the keynote. I got $1200 for it before the word of lower prices hit the press. so upgrading to a 15" Pro only cost me $400

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
i''m going to go with the larger PRO's. I have owned all the new unibodies within the last couple of months, the 15 is the perfect one!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13" Unibody
The new macbook pro is nice. I just bought the 13" and coming from the unibody 15" pro this works as well if not better. Its all about preference and what you will use it for.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz/4 GB/500 GB
I have to admit that the battery life on the new unis is impressing me. Yeah, I just got the computer today, but over an hour and a half, and still indicating 4:45 remaining (76%).

This is my first Mac notebook, but I know my HP that I am getting rid of after 6 months would have been down below 50% by now.

So if battery life is a major factor, then the new unis are worth it, especially if it will cost no extra.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
My biggest thing is battery, is it really that much better? I can get the 2.4ghz macbook from the outlet for $1099, and am trying to decide which is the best route. On the new pro I will never use the firewire port, or the SD card slot. Anything I need those for I do on my iMac. Is there any other major difference??

Typically how long does the battery last on the 2.4ghz macbook with the illuminated keyboard?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" uMBP: iPhone 4
I bought a MacBook and realized that I should have just got the MBP.

I have arranged for my MB to be collected on the 14 day money back offer that Apple do - and have just come home with a brand spanking new MBP!

They are in a different league!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.