question about black macbook

Reaction score
hello

i'm trying to sell my old black macbook in order to save up some cash for one of the new 13' macbook pro. i do enjoy games on the computer, so i could use the graphics card in the new mbp. the longer battery life and backlit display are great too.

however, before i can sell my macbook, i need to find out my tech specs! i bought it in may of 2008, so i'm thinking it has the current specs?

-250GB HDD (i'm sure of this)
-Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHZ
-2GB RAM
-Integrated Intel GMA X3100 Graphics processor, using 144MB RAM

is this correct? if so, assuming the computer is in good cosmetic condition, how much could i sell it for? i'm thinking somewhere between $800-$1000. what do you all think?

also, considering i'll be doing photo editing work, some computer gaming, internet, video, itunes, and office work, what specs should i get in the new mbp? should i get the $1099 one (baseline model with student discount), with 2.26 GHz processing power? i feel like i should go for the slightly faster one with more memory, processing power, and RAM. what would you all suggest?

thanks!

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Reaction score
Well I did the math for you and it says your Macbook is worth about $850. Say it's a Blackbook and that Apple no longer makes them and maybe you can sell it for $875. If it comes with iWork/iLife '09 and/or Office 2008 then maybe you can get away with selling it for $900. Try selling some other junk you have if you don't have a job to get more money.

With all that stuff you'll be doing I'd suggest going for the 2.53 Ghz model with 4GB RAM. I think you'd be fine with a 250GB HDD but if you have a lot of music and files and don't have an external HDD then go with the 320GB HDD. With the student discount it should only be $1399 if you don't get anything else. This is the specs I'll be getting when I get mine and I won't even really need all that, I just like speed really.

OP
O
Reaction score
yeah, i have around 50GB of music and around 15GB of other assorted files. i'm selling the mac because the hard drive in it actually failed, and i had it replaced, to the machine is essentially new. it has a cleared hard drive, with nothing on it, and if i turn it on, it starts the intro sequence for leopard. i currently have it priced at $1000 for this reason, in addition to the fact that is has been kept in very good condition, and still has a 2 year warranty on it as of now. however, to be more competitive, i'm thinking of selling it for $850...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You're not going to get $1000 for it now that the new MBP machines are so competitively priced. I would do as suggested and ask for $850. You can be firm with that price since the machine has a new HDD and 2 years of Apple care remaining.

Make sure you sell it locally - stay away from eBay. If you use Craig's list to advertise, meet the prospective buyer face to face and go with him\her to their bank for payment. O:)

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.