Window Washer?

JRV

Reaction score
do macs need a program like window washer to clear up cookies and other stuff like that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
depending on your browser, it probably has an option to clear cookies and such, or you can do it with onyx, but be careful if you get onyx. and dont clean the user caches.

J

jessica

No offense, but Windows doesn't even need WindowWasher. I did not even think they still made that prog.

D

Dookie

Macman said:
depending on your browser, it probably has an option to clear cookies and such, or you can do it with onyx, but be careful if you get onyx. and dont clean the user caches.

How come you shouldn't clean the user caches?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cause user caches arent just used by the browsers, user caches are mostly used by the system, browser caches are used by browsers(BTW, cleaning out user caches also makes it so that when you start typing in a browser and it usually starts trying to fill in the url for you, if you clean user caches, it wont do it, itll be like reinstalling the os and having an unused browser.), and some unimportant(which are usually important in one way or another) are kept in user caches, very few setttings, also some directory access and such, so its like breaking in your computer again, kinda.

D

Dookie

Haha I never knew that (why i'm still noob). Geuss I'll stop cleaning the user caches. What about the system caches? Also is there any other no nos that people should know about using onyx?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dont delete the systems hidden .ds store files, or core.xxx files, dont delete links between documents and their applications, most of its common sense.
system cache deals more with the ui, like locations of icons and buttons in apps and in the finder, also stuff like locations of icons in toolbar, sidebar, dock. deleting system caches may result in an empty dock, messed up looking finder or apps, menu bar items missing, system preference panes missing or in the wrong place, stuff like that.

Reaction score
only thing id do like that is clear safari's cache and history.... and repair permissions..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.