Is there a limit to the amount of external hard drives you can use with Tiger?

Reaction score
I currently have Six 1TB Western Digital drives mounted through two USB hubs.... Of late my iMac has started acting weird, i have repaired the permissions, but still strange things are happening, like it will go into sleep mode and not wake up, i have to power off and on again, and some of the external drives take ages to remount, way longer than the others, im hoping one of my drives isn't failing.... Any one else have any ideas? Should i try yo repair or verify my externals through disk utilities, or will i loose data if i try this?... Any help is greatly appreciated...

J

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
I think the likely culprit is your main HD, not the external ones at the moment.
There shouldn't be a limit at all.
Repair Disk and permissions for your main HD first, using Disk utility from the install discs. See where that takes you and it wouldn't hurt to run a hardware test too.

OP
J
Reaction score
I did all those and found no hardware problems... other issues are arising, like when i try to eject a mounted drive by dragging it to the trash in certain cases it wont un-mount, and the odd time i cant access the dashboard by depressing the scroll ball on the mouse, I think it might be a logic board problem developing... I have a mate working for apple and he said a certain batch of iMacs have been suffering from logic board problems... I just hope I'm not one of them... Thanks for the suggestions though...

J

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
NP. I hope it's not a logic board issue. How old is the iMac?
You could try booting on single user and running fsck, to see if it solves any issues, and also zap PRAM, reset NVRAM may help too.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.