got my mini mac today, but need help on one thing

B

beck

well i got my mini mac today and its very nice so far, but im having one little problem, the password! in acounts under the admin there is a password, i set all the passwords at the start but this isnt mine :closed: and i need this to install aplications by the look of it :(

anyone have any idea?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Insert your OS X cd. Restart the computer and hold down C as soon as it starts to boot from the disk. I forget where exactly but you can reset the admin password in there

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Quoted from Mac Help...

To reset the administrator password using the Mac OS X CD:

1. Insert the Mac OS X Install Disc 1 CD and restart the computer.
2. When you hear the startup tone, hold down the C key until you see the spinning gear.
3. When the Installer appears, choose Installer > Reset Password.
4. Follow the onscreen instructions to change the password.
5. Quit the Installer and restart your computer while holding down the mouse button to eject the CD

OP
B

beck

its not working :( i reset all the paswords that is shows up but the admin password isnt reset :( anyone please?!? my first mac experience isnt what is should be!

OP
K

Kokopelli

Perhaps there is a bit of confusion. Can you open system preferences and choose "accounts"? The first account created is the admin account. Are you logged in as this account or did you create other, limited access accounts and tell the installer to by default autologin to a limited account?

You seem to be saying that you installed OS X, created the first account and have never been able to log in as that user? By default I believe OS X automatically logs in as this account. It would take some effort to not be accessible to the admin account on a normal installation.

OP
B

beck

hmmmm i realy dont understand now, i can get into the accounts section and it shows my name and admin underneth. I try to change the password, so it asks me for the password first, i put in my password and then chage the password (i only use one password) but this new password doesnt work, in e.g. the computer keeps asking me for a keychain password :(

Reaction score
beck said:
hmmmm i realy dont understand now, i can get into the accounts section and it shows my name and admin underneth. I try to change the password, so it asks me for the password first, i put in my password and then chage the password (i only use one password) but this new password doesnt work, in e.g. the computer keeps asking me for a keychain password :(

Just an idea, it probably won't work, but is caps lock on? You'll see an upward arrow towards the right of the password box.

OP
K

Kokopelli

Perhaps it would help if we could see the dialog you are getting. With the dialog up do a <CMD><SHIFT>4, then hit the space. Put the camera over the dialog (after changing the names to protect the innocent) then take a snapshot.

This is going to save your picture by default as a PDF which is not convenient so double click on the PDF to open it in Preview then export it as JPEG and post it up here please.

Attached is what I am guessing you are seeing but I am not sure.

Picture 2.jpg

OP
B

beck

ok ive been playing around with it for a few hours and finaly got it, its 4am at the moment and i have to be up at 9 so im to tired to explain, but thanks for the help it was very usefull :)

thanks again

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.