Mac OSX Hangs at blue screen and get message Spotlight quit

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 1.83Ghz Core 2 Duo, 1GB ram, 160GB HD. iMac 20" 2Ghz Core 2 Duo Aluminum, 2GB ram, 250GB HD
Hi,

I installed the 10.5.7 update yesterday on my iMac and had no issues with it. It was rebooting with no problems until this morning I tried to boot Mac OSX 10.5.7 and it hangs on the blue screen with just the pointer and a message telling me that spotlight has quit unexpectedly:Confused:

I have tried switching to safe mode and still have the same problem and I have also tried to repair the disk on Disk Utility but it tells me that disk appears to be ok:Confused:

I could reinstall Mac OSX but I don't want to lose files and music that I have on Leopard.

I would use the install and archive mode but the problem is that it was an upgrade disc I used to install Leopard on my Aluminum iMac as my iMac came with Tiger. I remember reading that the Leopard upgrade disc doesn't have the install and archive method. I tried installing the Leopard upgrade disc but it tells me that I have to install OSX Tiger first.

Could I use the archive and install method on the Tiger disc even though Leopard is on my machine without losing files, mp3s and general data? or is Target Disk Mode my only final option to save my files?:\

Please advise

Art

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Probably not. Suggest you see if you can buy a full retail install DVD of Leopard, making sure it is the black coloured disc and not a silver grey model specific system restore.

When you get the Leopard disc, boot from it and go to Utilities and run Repair Disk from Disk Utility and see what is reported. If the worst comes to the worst you could do an archive and install from the Leopard disk and cross fingers nothing will be lost.

Greatest utility to have the Leopard disc.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 1.83Ghz Core 2 Duo, 1GB ram, 160GB HD. iMac 20" 2Ghz Core 2 Duo Aluminum, 2GB ram, 250GB HD
Thanks for the reply but i'd rather not spend even more money on the Leopard retail disk.

I think I will just do Target Disk Mode since I have two Mac computers and just transfer the the files I am wanting to save to my MacBook Pro then reinstall Leopard on my iMac then just use the upgrade Leopard DVD to install Leopard.

Art

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This so called Leopard 10.5.7 update that Apple has release has been a complete and utter disaster as far as my iMac Aluminum (Late 2007) is concerned:Shouting:

I tried installing the Leopard 10.5.7 Combo Update from my MacBook Pro using Target Disk Mode to my affected iMac but once the install has successfully complete and I reboot my iMac it now just hangs on Blue Screen which at random changed to a darker shade of blue then a lighter shade of blue with the pointer and this goes on and on......its driving me freaking crazy.:Shouting:

I tried booting in safe mode but once the login window appears and I type my password it just returns back to the blue screen for a few seconds then the login window reappears.:Shouting:

Good News...I've stopped getting the "Spotlight has Quit" message on the blue screen

Bad News...I still get the blue screen though

On a lighter note 10.5.7 work like a charm on my MacBook though...Could this be a video card problem with my iMac?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.