How to install Ubuntu?

Reaction score
I tried to install Ubuntu on my laptop and I failed to do so, I googled a lot about this but didn’t came on any conclusion, can anyone suggest me how to install it, another point does Ubuntu supports all PC games like windows? If yes then please advice me how to install it otherwise it will be waste of my time.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Ubuntu is a Linux distribution and a completely different operating system than Windows. In fact, it shares many more similarities with OS X than Windows.

If you are still interested in installing it, what exactly isn't working during the install? What have you done so far?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
NO, Linux does not support PC games, you will need Windows for that

Linux can run windows apps through a program called Wine, although it may or may not be suitable for games

Reaction score
Don't take this the wrong way, but I think you need to do a little reading about Linux and Ubuntu before you get started. Ubuntu will install nicely under Boot Camp, or in a virtual machine in Fusion or Parallels (I use it in Fusion). But if you are going to install Linux to run PC games under Wine, for example, it would be MUCH MUCH easier just to install Windows under Boot Camp (or even in a virtual machine) to do the same thing.

I love Ubuntu, it's very easy to use. I would suggest starting with Ubuntu in a virtual machine, and once comfortable with it, try it under Boot Camp.

Cheers

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
But if you are going to install Linux to run PC games under Wine, for example, it would be MUCH MUCH easier just to install Windows under Boot Camp (or even in a virtual machine) to do the same thing.
Better yet, just use something like MacPorts and install wine for OS X. This will save the time and effort.

Reaction score
Wine for OS X is choppy. Your best bet is Windows under Boot Camp. I've tried many games in Ubuntu using Wine. Some run okay, others had me pulling my hair out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.