• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Tiger-- Amazon ship date May 9

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
FWIW, I was on Amazon earlier and saw that they had Tiger (OS X.4) listed for preorder. Hoping to get it to admit a ship date I went through the pre-order process and at the "finalize order" screen it showed an estimated ship date of May 9.

I know, doesn't really mean anything, but it's kind of interesting. Any conventions comming up on May 9th?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
No convention until WWDC in June. Amazon also had march 31st listed as a date earlier in the year so I wouldn't take it for anything yet

K

Kokopelli

It means Amazon is 14 days, 11 hours, and 12 minutes off. :)

I can't think of one, but that does not mean that Apple won't release it then. It is early enough that most attendees to the WWDC will have had a chance to get a feel for the platform.

OP
dan828
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
trpnmonkey41 said:
No convention until WWDC in June. Amazon also had march 31st listed as a date earlier in the year so I wouldn't take it for anything yet

Yeah, I'm not too excited about this, but it does only come up after you go through the order process, it's not on the product page. And at almost exactly one month before WWDC, it is an interesting date, don't you think?

Also, rumors are that the Longhorn beta 1 is due in June-- Apple stealing the thunder by releasing a finished "Tiger" in May and then hyping it up at WWDC isn't an impossible scenerio, especially if MS was shooting for something like June 1 for the beta release to steal Apple's thunder of a Tiger release at WWDC. :confused: Makes sense, right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I highly doubt Apple will release it before WWDC. This is their main event for WWDC and they want to be able to show you all of the cool stuff to convince you to get it.

M

menace3054

trpnmonkey41 said:
I highly doubt Apple will release it before WWDC. This is their main event for WWDC and they want to be able to show you all of the cool stuff to convince you to get it.

i dont think theyll need to convince anyone. everyone who owns a mac fast enough to run it will be outside waiting to buy it the day it goes up for sale

Reaction score
it might come out may 9th, but not actually ship out until 2 weeks later, then everyone will have it jsut before the WWDC

Reaction score
Oh.. i just looked at it, and it was 129.99 Canadian, panther is 179.99 Canadian... price drop !

K

Kokopelli

dan828 said:
Also, rumors are that the Longhorn beta 1 is due in June-- Apple stealing the thunder by releasing a finished "Tiger" in May and then hyping it up at WWDC isn't an impossible scenerio, especially if MS was shooting for something like June 1 for the beta release to steal Apple's thunder of a Tiger release at WWDC. :confused: Makes sense, right?

That is my argument as well. :tusks: It is the over riding factor that makes May seem feasible. Steve Jobs hates to have his thunder stolen. :D

Reaction score
Aw. I really hope that doesn't happen. Then people will think the new windows is the best and there will be evne more mac bashers. Just because the beta was out B4 tiger, MS users will be like "tiger is a copy of longhorn and it suks"

What kind of name is longhorn anyways ???

OP
dan828
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
shaun89 said:
What kind of name is longhorn anyways ???

It's a breed of cattle common to Texas and other arid areas. One would assume that someone working on the project was an alumni of the University of Texas at Austin, which has as it's mascot the longhorn. Makes about as much sense as naming your OS after carnivores of the family Felidae or naming a company after your favorite fruit and then your flagship computer after your favorite variety of that fruit. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I think Longhorn is a bad name as it always reminds me of 'long in the tooth' i.e. outdated...

Obviously it's not the final product name, but so many people are now familiar with it that they might have trouble getting rid of the 'long' image...

M

m-sambo

One would assume that someone working on the project was an alumni of the University of Texas at Austin, which has as it's mascot the longhorn.

Ahhhhh, but that assumption would be wrong. Microsoft used to name products after cities but changed to using ski locations. Hey, why not. :)

(source)

In regard to the original poster, online retailers often get availability dates wrong in my experience. Could be true but I wouldn't bet the bank on it.

Mike

S

supremeoverlord

I saw this article on Macworld website... check out the date in this little exerpt

"On May 18, Kerr will present "Apple and Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger: Energize Your Workflow," a session dedicated to "an overview of Mac OS X Tiger and its relevance to the drug discovery process." In addition to demonstrating such Tiger features as Spotlight, Kerr will also focus on Automator, another Tiger technology that helps streamline repetitive tasks, Xgrid-based distributed computing and other Apple software relevant to scientists and IT managers."

May would be my guess I suppose
here is the link to the article: http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/03/07/genomics/index.php

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.