ibook will not start after software update

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G4 133Ghz 512mb dvd/rw, 15" Powerbook G4
I've just done a software update on my ibook G4, a security and itunes update. It required my ibook to be restarted, which I did but now all that comes up is the white apple starting page with the 'wait' clock ticking, doesn't go any further. I've tried the 'Apple hardware test' disc in my software and that says all is good. Anyone got any ideas where to go next I'd appreciate it. I've had no previous problems with this ibook whatsoever.

I was going to do an update on the powerbook but no way at the moment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Run disc utility from your install disc and repair permission and disc. See if that throws up anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 500GB hard drive 4GB ram PowerMac G5 Dual 2.2GHz Mirrored 500GB HDD, Mac Mini, and more
Strangerover,

I have also run in to this problem,
I have used DiskWarrior to temporarily repair the problem with booting ...
but alas the final solution for me was to replace the hard drive and reinstall
every thing.. sucks but thats what I had to do .. And I did try all other disk
utilities.. in booting to the install disk .. single user mode running fsck -fy and
these did not show errors but it definitely was the hard drive failing..

Hate to say it but that may be your problem.

OP
Strangerover
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks csegeek thats what I was worrying about. I took Kevs advice and tried the permission/disc repair but no change. Looks like a new hard drive and reinstall.

In a rare moment of wisdom not long ago I backed up my itunes catalogue to a few dvd discs, will there be any problems returning it to my new itunes?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 500GB hard drive 4GB ram PowerMac G5 Dual 2.2GHz Mirrored 500GB HDD, Mac Mini, and more
Strangerover,

I am not that versed with iTunes but you should be able to just import them in to the new install if you do have an iTunes acct you will have to de-authorize all machines with apple.. if you can't get back in to the iBook and just authorize the new install .. you could also use another machine put yours in target mode and suck every thing readable off via firewire..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Thanks csegeek thats what I was worrying about. I took Kevs advice and tried the permission/disc repair but no change. Looks like a new hard drive and reinstall.

In a rare moment of wisdom not long ago I backed up my itunes catalogue to a few dvd discs, will there be any problems returning it to my new itunes?

No, just drag and drop the disc image over iTunes and it will import the tunes.
Shame it's your HD, what a pain.

OP
Strangerover
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok I've been wondering why a previously faultless hard drive has died when I did the software update. So I did a basic re-installation, the type that saves your files in a separate folder. This appears to have worked to the extent it's now asking me to log in, but is not recognising my old user password. But here's a new problem. I could re-set it but I need the master password, and it has just dawned on me that I dont have that, it was bought second hand and the previous owner set that. I may be able to contact him again and I have his password hint to jog his memory but is there any way around this if I cant?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Only by doing a completely clean install I'm afraid.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.