Macbook pro 2.66ghz just purchased on 5/21

Reaction score
I noticed that Apple had just release a new macbook pro 17 model and it's $300 cheaper! I am very upset as I just purchase my macbook pro 17 2.66ghz about 3 weeks ago. I called the apple store in NYC and they said that the return policy is 14 days only, anything after that they can't do nothing about!

This really sucks, as I paid so much and now the newer model is faster and cheaper. Has this happen to anyone recently? What should I do? Call and speak with their sales manager?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
I noticed that Apple had just release a new macbook pro 17 model and it's $300 cheaper! I am very upset as I just purchase my macbook pro 17 2.66ghz about 3 weeks ago. I called the apple store in NYC and they said that the return policy is 14 days only, anything after that they can't do nothing about!

This really sucks, as I paid so much and now the newer model is faster and cheaper. Has this happen to anyone recently? What should I do? Call and speak with their sales manager?

You can try calling them again but they have to have a cut-off point sometime and they have decided it;s at 14 days. Let me ask you something, were you happy with your Apple product before they released the new MBP line? You've just got to accept that new products come out and Apple can't refund everyone or they'd be a failing business.

PS - PLEASE use the search function next time! We already have so many of these threads going on.

OP
S
Reaction score
I am happy with my purchase but the newer model will definitely benefit me more since it has a card reader and faster processor. I am a photographer and need the card slot and I could use the extra $300 on upgrades.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I would go back again because my apple store said that that time frame is only valid for normal time when there's aren't any new computers released. 3 weeks is nothing because they know about the circumstances and such. You will have to pay 150 to return it though, no matter what. Unless you take it back as having a defect ,and make them put everything on a apple gift card. Then, you can pay for the cheaper, newer one, and have the difference sent back to your house as a check. That was exactly what I did to my old mbp and it was more than 30 days past it's time to be returned. Say no to their 14 day policy because it holds as much water as a fishing net!!!!!

OP
S
Reaction score
davembp,

Where did you hear that there is a 30day return policy?

I've called several store in NYC and they all keep telling me it's 14day policy. I am going to call back again and demand to speak with a sale manager but I need hard evidence that if a new model comes out within 30day purchase the customer has every right to exchange or return for the new model.

I'm upset because I spent almost $3000 on this laptop and a new model is faster and has better features (express card slot) that will benefit me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
davembp,

I've called several store in NYC and they all keep telling me it's 14day policy. I am going to call back again and demand to speak with a sale manager but I need hard evidence that if a new model comes out within 30day purchase the customer has every right to exchange or return for the new model.

I'm upset because I spent almost $3000 on this laptop and a new model is faster and has better features (express card slot) that will benefit me.

normally, it's 14 days. But, they give you a little bit of room when new computers, or price cuts come along....like now! Act fast though!

OP
S
Reaction score
The announcement for the new macbook pro 17 was on june 8th. I purchased it on 5/21. What are my chances? still under 30 days though

Reaction score
You should be able to exchange it within 30 days. I know that's what they are doing in Toronto. Just find the right person to speak to, and be nice.

I bought my 15"MBP April 15th and I did everything I could to get the newer model. I was close, but they just wouldn't do it. I got an 8GB iPod touch, and Canon printer for free instead (rebate). As well as a refund for the 'end of life cycle' price difference. Didn't get the new machine I wanted, but they compensated pretty well. Goodluck

Reaction score
davembp,

I might be mistaken but I'm almost positive your 17" MBP has an express card slot. It was just the 15" lost it's express card slot and got an SD slot. The 17" remained the same aside from very small performance increases and the drop in price. I know it's kinda disappointing but you have to expect technology to advance, you can't really blame Apple for improving their products and making them more affordable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2015 15", Powerbook G4 17" 2004
I might be mistaken but I'm almost positive your 17" MBP has an express card slot. It was just the 15" lost it's express card slot and got an SD slot. The 17" remained the same aside from very small performance increases and the drop in price. I know it's kinda disappointing but you have to expect technology to advance, you can't really blame Apple for improving their products and making them more affordable.

Yup your right Justin, the 17inch model still retains its express card slot, so id stick with your macbook pro, its a fantastic machine, surely this hasn't changed your feelings about the machine, it has only been lowered in price and a slight spec boost. :)

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your help!

I went to my local apple store and they will swap it for the newer model without a problem. They actually told me that many customers were doing the same thing all week.

So in the end I get a newer model with a faster processor and bigger hard drive and a Canon printer that is free after rebate.

After thinking about it the 17 macbook pro does have the express slot on the left side.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.