Fried logic board working again?!

Reaction score
I have a ibook G4 which was about three years old when it threw up the dreaded blank blue screen. A full diagnostic later the decision was the logic board was gone. As it was used for work it was simply replaced with a new one. Ok this is where it gets interesting four months later i took the machine from the drawer and out of curiosity (as you do) booted it up. Lo and behold it started perfectly. Only problem was the scoll pad wasn't working, one software up date and reboot later resulted in a perfectly working scroll pad! So my question is this has anyone had this happen before and am I going to turn the machine on some day soon to be greeted with a peaceful blank blue screen again? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Chances are it will go again yes. At the start of these failures you will find that it will work perfectly for an hour, a day a week etc, but ultimately it will fail again. You could always try the shim fix if it does, it worked on 3 iBooks for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 500GB hard drive 4GB ram PowerMac G5 Dual 2.2GHz Mirrored 500GB HDD, Mac Mini, and more
Zipp,

I am very new to the Mac laptops.. but have had a few pass through my hands recently.. if this is the same issue the shim fix will work to get the system up and running to test it may have worked now due to being cold and no flexing on the sysboard but I have found ibook G4 logic board fix to be very helpful Identifying the chip and with a steady hand sharp tipped soldering iron lots of flux and some silver solder ... the repairs are more permanent. There are really only 2 pins that have a joint issue if you have the bottom off and are looking at it from the back battery away from you they are on the right side the two end pins cant remember but I think they are pins 1 and 28
Or It could be the system has another issue with Power management ... I have run in to an iBook that would function perfectly fine until you powered it off.. it would not ever restart again unless you took the battery out and unplugged it for 24hrs or more .. and no amount of nvram resets or PMU resets would help it .. but why shut down any how ... the iBook sleep very well..LOL
just my 2 cents..

OP
Z
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies I appreciate the advice, it was pretty much what I thought. I just found it curious that a machine that had no "logical" reason (sorry couldn't resisit!) to be working was. I'm just going to use it for watching media and surfing and just see how how long it lasts but I don't think I could ever trust it for important stuff.

Thanks again ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.