problems with my new macbook

Reaction score
well to start with, i bought a brand new macbook white and am facing a few problems:
plz help me sort them out...
i have creative 4.1 inspire speaker system...when i use the converters to connect the macbook to them, all i can hear is full volume in 2 speakers and the rest 2 speakers have vocals in a very dim sound.can i not use 4.1 speaker systems with my macbook?

i am not able to connect my nokia n 73 cellphone with my macbook through bluetooth.it says the cell is busy but its not...what exactly is the problem?

also the complete data in my macbook is around 80 gb but the macintosh hd shows only 11 gb free...where is this extra space going?

plz help...im really worried and i dun wanna repent my decision to switch to mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
The MB audio output only supports a 2.1 system. You need to get a USB card for a 4.1 system.

Not sure about the Nokia N73 issue - suggest you check compatibility between the two items on the Nokia website or give them a call.

How big is your HD? Remember that OS X takes up quite a few GB as well as programmes you have installed and come pre-installed on the machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
OS X takes up about 20GB so you're already done to 100GB. Sounds about right if you add in other programmes to your HD.

Depends on what sort of USB card you can afford. Are you in the UK or US...or somewhere else?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
1. The surround speakers never have the full sound that the primary front speakers have. On any system. They play the surround track that is embedded in the music/video you are listening to.

Unless the amplifier (that typically would come with a nice set of computer speakers) or the sound card has built in audio processing to allow you to change the way audio is reproduced. Has nothing to do with your Mac. A windows box would act the same way with most of your lower end sound cards.

There is not much we can do to help without knowing the model speakers you have. And even if we do, Creative typically does not put those owner's manuals online so we still couldn't look up the info. You will more than likely need to pull out the owner's manual, read it, and see if it allows for those type of adjustments. Probably if those speakers cost under $300, they will not.

2. This is an issue with your Nokia. There are a lot of complaints about this all over. It stopped working when Nokia updated from version 3 to version 4 firmware. That was a year ago, so maybe it's been worked out. I'd check Nokia's site, make sure you have the latest firmware on the phone, see if they have worked this out or not. Possibly there will be some other N73 user here that will know.

3. There are a couple nice apps that can show you how your disk space is being used - one of them is Disk Inventory X. This one is free.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Another thing Bob, Creative does not seem to support any Digital input like Tos-Link which the Macbook has.

To the OP, Do remember a 120GB drive in real life does not report 120GB free even if you Fdisk it. 111GB is about what it will have out of the box with No OS. This is the same with Windows, Linux, Mac because it's the way Drive Manufactures report free space. So if you start with 111GB say and then add OSX, iLife, iWork and all your stuff.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Another thing Bob, Creative does not seem to support any Digital input like Tos-Link which the Macbook has.

To the OP, Do remember a 120GB drive in real life does not report 120GB free even if you Fdisk it. 111GB is about what it will have out of the box with No OS. This is the same with Windows, Linux, Mac because it's the way Drive Manufactures report free space. So if you start with 111GB say and then add OSX, iLife, iWork and all your stuff.

Yep, No digital input is an issue with almost all low end computer speakers.
Don't know if their current high end stuff has enough features or not. Just sold my 6 yr old 5.1 set up I had from when they were selling under the Cambridge name. Had Dolby Digital, DTX, THX. Still some of the best computer speakers I've ever heard. I may be sorry I did that down the road.

OP
M
Reaction score
well i live in india....so can this problem be sorted out through a usb card or there isnt any solution...i cnt see my new 4.1 speaker system go waste...the speaker model is creative inspire m4500...
plz give ne possible solution so that i can use my speakers....
thank u so much in advance..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.