Replace the Guts in an ext Hard Drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (late 2008), OS 10.6.2, FCE 4.0.1, CS 1
My Acomdata ext HD gave it up. I understand another disk can be installed in the enclosure. According to Acomdata (who gave good customer service for a device way out of warranty), it can be replaced by any 3.5 inch IDE/PATA drive so I assume boards that slide into the internal mounting grooves are a std size. Is that so? Also, are the four female receptacles (FW400, FW800, mini-USB, and A/C adapter) also mounted in std locations so they will fit in the holes in the enclosure? Thank you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
It's one of those things that you'll understand better once you get the enclosure cracked open (assuming you have no experience with things of this nature).

NewEgg will have the drive for a good price.

There will be only two ribbon wires connecting the drive to the enclosure. One for data and one for power. The external ports (FW, USB, etc) are attached to a small circuit board in the enclosure. You won't have to mess with them at all.

Keep in mind that the actual enclosure circuitry could be fried and simply replacing the hard drive may not fix your problem.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Surfwax95: The enclosure is open and the board removed. It is of one piece holding the drive and the female receptacles. Although the device is Acomdata, the actual drive assembly is a Western Digital WD Scorpio 160.0GB. I assume I can replace it with a WD Scorpio but what of other brands. Are the female receptacles' locations standardized?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
All 3.5" IDE (ATA) hard drives have the same power jack and 40-Pin IDC connector. Just be sure the drive you purchase is a 3.5" IDE (ATA).

Any of the drives here in this URL will work if what Acomdata told you was correct. What is the model of the Acomdata drive (on the case) so I can check? I bet they are correct though and it's IDE.

Newegg.com - Computer Hardware,Hard Drives,Internal Hard Drives,IDE Ultra ATA100,

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It is model SHD160UFAPEW-54. It is dated Jul 2007. That brings up the question of replacing it with a larger capacity device. It is only two years but technology marches on. Thanks for your interest.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
That brings up the question of replacing it with a larger capacity device.
Capacity is irrelevant. As long as you put the appropriate size (physical size, not digital size) and style, you should be fine.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It is model SHD160UFAPEW-54. It is dated Jul 2007. That brings up the question of replacing it with a larger capacity device. It is only two years but technology marches on. Thanks for your interest.

Is this your drive?

Acomdata SHD160UFAPE-54 Manuals, Support and Troubleshooting - Storage

If so it claims it's a 2.5" drive. That will make the URL I gave you above wrong as those are 3.5".

PROVANTAGE: AcomData SHD160UFAPE-54 160GB 2.5" HD Combo

This also says 2.5" drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB
Yeah I was wonderin caause the WD Scorpio's are laptop drives, 2.5 inchers....

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah I was wonderin caause the WD Scorpio's are laptop drives, 2.5 inchers....

That is why I asked the OP for the model of the drive as something just did not seem right.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Between the double lines is what the Acomdata tech support said. First is his response; next is my question that was written before I had disassembled the unit to discover that the disk itself is Western Digital.
=========================================
Any model 3.5” IDE/PATA hard drive should work fine.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

[Some text deleted to avoid identifying the techie who wrote]

Subject: Re: AcomData Tech Support Request

.... If I wanted to put a third party hard drive (or one of yours) in that enclosure, what would I buy?
=====================================================

But that is irrelevant. You guys are correct. I removed the drive from the enclosure and measured the round part where the disk lives. 2.5 in. Nice catch! Thank you

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.