When snow leopard arrives.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2015 15", Powerbook G4 17" 2004
When i upgrade to snow leopard in September, what would everyone recommend i do when upgrading?

I would preferably like everything thats on leopard, for example apps and the settings etc and icons for folders, itunes library all in tact and no changes made etc basically everything to stay how it is but with a new OS.

Am i best to use the upgrade option then, is this a good method, anyone got any methods that would be best?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
I started using OSX with tiger, so leopard has been my only upgrade experience so far, but I just hit the upgrade button during the installation (as opposed to archive and install or clean install) and it replaced tiger with leopard while leaving all of my files and apps intact. I'm assuming it will work the same way with snow leopard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
Yeah, most likely. Apple is pretty standard with that. Panther-Tiger was the same too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 1.83Ghz Dual Core, 2 GB RAM, running 10.6.1
As a rule of thumb I always try an upgrade just to see how it goes then wipe the disk and do a fresh install. With software as complex as an operating system it always seems upgrades leave system settings hanging around somewhere in a file that conflict with the upgrade and causes problems down the road.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
At this point we're not even sure if the $29 version will even have the same install options we're all familiar with.

There were many problems that folks had with the upgrade option from Tiger to Leopard. Most of them stemming from particular applications they had installed.

Assuming all the same options are available, I would suggest those wanting to use the upgrade option wait for a week or two, let the issues come out and any resolutions. Unless you're one of those types that enjoys the troubleshooting aspect of it all.

Thinking I may give a try with the fresh install and restore from Time Machine. See if my Time Machine backup is worth it or not since I also use SuperDuper for a bootable backup.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2015 15", Powerbook G4 17" 2004
Thanks for the info

I might wait a week after it is released and do a upgrade, my operating system is perfect the way i want it at the moment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I personally recommend the Archive & Install method. Everything is still right where you left it, but the process seems to avoid any of the issues that crop up during a regular Upgrade install.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.