Garageband Lagging on Real Instrument Tracks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook 2.16 GHz Intel Core2Duo 2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM OS X 10.4.11 120GB Intel GMA 950 (2007)
Hey all,

Wondering if anyone's experienced what I'm going through these days.

When I click the record button with any real instrument track selected, I get the color wheel for at least a couple of minutes, and the record button locks up, appearing as though it's permanently pushed in. I would say the program completely locks up for these few minutes, because I can't click on or use anything, but I still receive and hear my audio signal (guitar) in real-time, no problem. After the 'lag' time is up, the interface resumes accessibility and recording continues as though it hadn't just taken three minutes to decide what it was going to do. Software instrument tracks give me no such problem, and this is the only instance of Garageband running poorly. I use it every day.

I run Native Instruments Komplete 5 through it, whose samples, as well as all my Garageband project files, are stored on my external HD. I would have considered this as part of the problem, but I moved the files to the external a while ago and only recently had this problem with real instrument tracks.

Sorry if that was long-winded; hopefully someone has some thoughts on the matter. Thanks in advance!

Robert

OP
Division.Bell
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook 2.16 GHz Intel Core2Duo 2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM OS X 10.4.11 120GB Intel GMA 950 (2007)
I just received a reply to this question on another forum, and thought I'd share it here in case this problem should happen to anyone else here.

I didn't format my external HD when I got it, and since my GB projects save to it, real instrument tracks experience a serious lag when they attempt to write to that location.

The suggested response was, obviously, to format the drive for OSX. Instead I just save any ongoing projects to my Mac and only finished projects to the external. Either way, the problem was in trying to record to an external HD that wasn't properly formatted.

Hope this helps somebody in the future!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 Macbook White 2Ghz 2Gig RAM 120Gig HDD
Thanks for telling the rest of the forum your solution. Its much appreciatted.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.