iPhoto not connecting to Facebook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 Macbook White 2Ghz 2Gig RAM 120Gig HDD
Is any-one else having trouble connecting iPhoto to Facebook?

I first of all struggled to get iPhoto to let me enter my facebook user name. I got the detail entry form up, i could click on the text box, but no matter what i did on the keyboard no letters would appear in the text box.

after a lot of messing around i got my username in the box, enter my password and click login. but all the happens is i get a blue circle mouse pointer and nothing else happens.

any-one else experiencing this?

i think that a software update recently must have upgraded iPhoto as it wanted to upgrade my library when i started iPhoto tonight so wonder if this bug has not been introduced by a new version?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06Ghz
I just went through that too. Did you download the iPhoto Exporter for Facebook?...Then look under the export photo tab in iPhoto you must log into Facebook from there...hope you understand. Good luck.

Reaction score
While the above stated problem does install a new tab in export, the user above is obviously using '08, not '09. '09 has the "nifty" facebook button at the bottom of the page that you just hit.... and wahlah, you're uploading... i too have EXACTLY the same problem, and have tried many attempts at fixing this including using a different facebook email address, and different facebook password. NO GO! The tab that the facebook installer program installs does work, but so what! I want that button to work dagnabit!

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yup, using iPhoto 9. My Macbook is only 6 weeks old.

thing is, it was working fine a week or two ago, but since i got some updates over the week-end it won't work anymore.

the wierd bit is when you click the button and then it asks you to set up an account (my account was previously setup, but it seems to have forgotten this), i can't actually type anything in the username box. the cursor just sits there and flashes. I can enter a password though, but what good is that without a username.

Reaction score
I too am having the same problem. However, I am able to upload photos to my account. But, I tried the "change accounts" button so my wife could upload photos to her account...and thats when I noticed the problem. I can't type in the login box (the cursor just blinks). I tried a copy-paste that seemed to work, but then I just get the blue circle. I am using iPhoto 09. Is there a fix coming out or do we have to download the iPhoto Exporter?

Reaction score
Actually guys, just figured it out, at least for me - Quit iPhoto, go to your Home folder / Library / Preferences / com.apple.iphoto and delete that preference file. Then restart iPhoto and it was suddenly fixed for me!

Tons of other threads back it as well.

Reaction score
bradyh1, i tried looking for the com.apple.iphoto file in the preference folder, but there isn't one in my preference folder. have any of you run across anything else that would be helpful?

i noticed that it automatically populates the email address that you used to log into facebook from safari (i have been using mozilla so it took a while to figure that out, since my husband used facebook in safari last).

PLEASE ADVICE!

Reaction score
spiffypyaaz... not sure why your not seeing it. If you've updated your mac with the latest software, and updated iphoto as well... that .pst file should be found by just following that path I gave.

MAKE SURE... to close iphoto before going hunting and then delete that file and remove from trash. Then open iphoto back up.

Go Finder / Home folder / Library / Preferences / com.apple.iphoto.pst (i believe that is the extension to the file you need to delete) It's defiantly in there if you've recently updated your OS.

You may also want to try rebuilding iphoto by closing down iphoto and then pressing & holding the Apple and Option key's will clicking to open iphoto again. Then just select on the pop up screen all the boxes to help rebuild iphoto. That may help too.:D

Reaction score
Having the same problem too. I have iPhoto 09 as well and I often use it to upload photos directly to my facebook account. After I updated iphoto a few days ago, the problem started. Mine displays my email address, though, but can't edit it... after I put in my password, I get that blue circle pointer as well. I waited it out (fell asleep, actually) and still nothing. Still to try bradyh1's suggestion... thanks!

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This has now been fixed properly by Apple. The problem has been caused by Safari 4.

Do a software update and download the new Safari 4.0.1 and the facebook upload from iPhoto will work again :)

Reaction score
Confusing! Bad error messages and documentation!

I thought I was getting this problem now in iPhoto.

I last uploaded stuff to facebook via iPhoto about 11 months ago.

The two facebook albums in iPhoto have little warning triangles indicating a connection problem, and I get this error when I click on an album:
"An error occurred with the publication of album “<the name of the album>”
Authentication with server failed. Please check your login and password information."

If I click the settings button, the Change Settings button is greyed out.
That's where the login and password go, no?* If I click Remove Account from iPhoto, wil that delete the facebook albums in iPhoto? It seemed that there was no way to change the password. (I wondered if the feature had been partly removed from iPhoto!)

I planned to try bradyh1's suggestions.

*NO! SOLUTION: The password settings are only accessible by clicking on the right kind of photo in order to make the "f" button visible and clickable, and then clicking it, and then pressing "Change Accounts". (Odd this isn't in Preferences!):Angry-Tongue:

Reaction score
Still no fix for iphoto uploader in 2012

Here we are in 2012 and still no fix for the iphoto uploader problem.Or is it a facebook problem. Or is it a problem with the safari(but im using version 5).

Tried all the suggested fixes with no luck.

Any other comments???

C

chas_m

Well:

1. You're commenting on a thread that ended three years ago, and

2. I upload photos to Facebook fairly routinely using iPhoto '11 without any issues at all, so it's not a universal problem. iPhoto and Safari have nothing to do with each other.

Reaction score
Well:

1. You're commenting on a thread that ended three years ago, and

2. I upload photos to Facebook fairly routinely using iPhoto '11 without any issues at all, so it's not a universal problem. iPhoto and Safari have nothing to do with each other.

Glad you can run iphoto 11 but the thread mostly related to the 9 version.

I can see why people dont ask questions because they get stupid comment replies.

Reaction score
'Small Business' Facebook Account

In iphoto 11, i am unable to view or upload photos to my 'Small Business' Facebook account. I can view and upload to my 'personal' Facebook account however. Has anyone else had the same issue? or a solution?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 13"
Hi there, l have a similar problem like; my iphoto 09 gives error with my facebook account but does connect with my sister's account. Probably has a problem with my account or privacy settings, but couldnt find which gives it..

Reaction score
SOLUTION: The password settings are only accessible by clicking on the right kind of photo in order to make the "f" button visible and clickable, and then clicking it, and then pressing "Change Accounts". (Odd this isn't in Preferences!):Angry-Tongue:

Kind of sad... I posted a clearly identified SOLUTION in this thread... but some people can't read...:Not-Amused:

Reaction score
2012, and I need help with iPhoto and FB!

Alright, I TOTALLY agree with maccamenzies... people post questions here, and nothing but stupid, unhelpful replies and comments like "people can't read." Seriously?? How does "The password settings are only accessible by clicking on the right kind of photo..." help?? What's the "right" kind of photo? They're ALL in iPhoto. And I've done the FB upload from my MBP in iPhoto9 for years. It just suddenly stopped working recently.

So, I would really appreciate some REAL, honest-to-God HELPFUL advice, instead of snarky comments that are a waste of my reading time in an effort to find a solution.

Be a part of the solution, not the problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.