Updating OS X

Reaction score
Hi all, just new to the forums. Can I pose a question to you all? . . . Have a G4 with 10.3.2 and would like to install some new software. I have tried but my system (10.3.2) doesn't allow the full installation of the particular software package. I have been told that I need to install up to 10.3.9 for the install to work. I assume I can get the update off the Apple website, but where do I look for it on the Apple site? Anyway if and when I get the update, can I download it to a laptop (PC)!!! as my Mac is not connected to the Internet. Assuming that works can I then pop it on to a memory stick (USB stick) and then install it from there on to the Mac? That's it.
Thanks a lot for your time and patience everyone.
- decmac:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
10.3 Panther 10.4 Tiger and 10.5 Leopard are not upgrades as such as you are expected to buy the OS on disc for installation. Check eBay. Having done that you can upgrade 10.3.2 to 10.3.9 or 10.4.5 to 10.4.11 etc by downloading updates directly onto computer or load the Combo updater on to any computer and transfer to your G4. Combo updates are free on Apple support pages but u must have OS first. see Apple - Downloads - Mac OS X Updates - Mac OS X Combined Update 10.3.9

OP
D
Reaction score
OSX 10.3 need help

10.3 Panther 10.4 Tiger and 10.5 Leopard are not upgrades as such as you are expected to buy the OS on disc for installation. Check eBay. Having done that you can upgrade 10.3.2 to 10.3.9 or 10.4.5 to 10.4.11 etc by downloading updates directly onto computer or load the Combo updater on to any computer and transfer to your G4. Combo updates are free on Apple support pages but u must have OS first. see Apple - Downloads - Mac OS X Updates - Mac OS X Combined Update 10.3.9

Yes I understand what you mean by having to buy the upgrades, i.e. Panther, Tiger, Leopard but I have 10.3.2 Panther installed already on my machine but I just need to go up to 10.3.9 or somewhere between 10.3.2 and 10.3.9 to install software (i.e Quark XPress, InDesign, Photoshop, etc.). 10.3.2 simply doesn't allow me to install the above-mentioned programs until I install something higher than 10.3.2. Hope this makes sense to you, hope I am explaining myself okay. Thanks for your reply above. Maybe you can elaborate on my new post . . . decmac:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Collin Bl is leading you in the right direction, he just likes to hear himself type a little too much.

Just ignore that, click on the link in his post, and you'll be fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Seems i did not say enuff - if you have 10.3.2 and cannot run the 10.3.9 combo then there is a chance that you also need a hardware update, but you do not mention which G4 you have. If you were able to take the G4 somewhere and connect to internet you may well be advised automatically to update Hardware - there you go 59 words with apologies to techno

OP
D
Reaction score
Need help

Seems i did not say enuff - if you have 10.3.2 and cannot run the 10.3.9 combo then there is a chance that you also need a hardware update, but you do not mention which G4 you have. If you were able to take the G4 somewhere and connect to internet you may well be advised automatically to update Hardware - there you go 59 words with apologies to techno

I have been successful to a point and have installed 10.3.9 Combo Update on the G4. Thanks for the link Colin BL. The only problem is that the software I want to install (Photoshop, InDesign) still won't install on the computer. It just goes to a certain point and stops and the big coloured beach ball starts to go round. Any more ideas on what I can do to resolve it, Colin and Technologist?
- decmac ;)

Reaction score
I've installed 10.3.9 on a G3, so I don't see any problem - just run Software Update from the Apple Menu. You'll still find there is a lot of incompatible software even if it's fully up to date. You could potentially install Tiger, but it would crawl on a 400MHz machine.

OP
D
Reaction score
10.3 Need advice

I've installed 10.3.9 on a G3, so I don't see any problem - just run Software Update from the Apple Menu. You'll still find there is a lot of incompatible software even if it's fully up to date. You could potentially install Tiger, but it would crawl on a 400MHz machine.

Kahlil88 thanks for your reply. I just don't have my Mac linked to the Internet so I can't use Software Update. 'You'll still find there is a lot of incompatible software even if it's fully up to date.' . . . by this do you mean somewhere along the line up to 10.3.9 the Mac software I installed is incompatible with Photoshop and InDesign? Is there anything else I can do/try to resolve it? Thanks again
Decmac:)

Reaction score
'You'll still find there is a lot of incompatible software even if it's fully up to date.' . . . by this do you mean somewhere along the line up to 10.3.9 the Mac software I installed is incompatible with Photoshop and InDesign? Is there anything else I can do/try to resolve it?
I mean that even if you fully update to 10.3.9, you won't be able to run a lot of newer software, such as the most recent Firefox (the latest version for 10.3 is 2.0.0.20). Fortunately, the Unarchiver and Burn still work on Panther.

OP
D
Reaction score
OS 10.3 need advice

I mean that even if you fully update to 10.3.9, you won't be able to run a lot of newer software, such as the most recent Firefox (the latest version for 10.3 is 2.0.0.20). Fortunately, the Unarchiver and Burn still work on Panther.
Thanks for the post kahlil88. Are you saying then that it's a possibility that Photoshop and InDesign like Firefox might not work on Panther either. What can I do? I installed 10.3.9 Combo Update thinking it would solve the problem with Photoshop, etc. but now do I have to step back a bit, meaning install an earlier update (e.g. 10.3.4, 10.3.5 or whatever) to make P/shop, IDesign work for me. Let me know when you can. Thanks again.:)
- decmac

Reaction score
Are you saying then that it's a possibility that Photoshop and InDesign like Firefox might not work on Panther either. What can I do? I installed 10.3.9 Combo Update thinking it would solve the problem with Photoshop, etc. but now do I have to step back a bit, meaning install an earlier update (e.g. 10.3.4, 10.3.5 or whatever) to make P/shop, IDesign work for me.
Updating your system isn't going to break compatibility and downgrading isn't going to make things work that don't. What version of Photoshop and InDesign are you trying to run? Adobe CS2 is the latest version that will run on Panther.

OP
D
Reaction score
OSX - need advice

Updating your system isn't going to break compatibility and downgrading isn't going to make things work that don't. What version of Photoshop and InDesign are you trying to run? Adobe CS2 is the latest version that will run on Panther.

Kahlil88 - Apologies for not getting back sooner, but I just had a break away from home. Anyway I've looked at the CD case and just noticed (in small print) that the Adobe Creative Suite (which includes P/Shop, InDesign, Illustrator, GoLive, Acrobat among others), says it is optimised for the Powermac G5. So, have I a prayer with my G4? Is there a workaround to install it on my Mac? Hopefully there is.
- decmac

OP
D
Reaction score
Come in Kahlil88, ColinBL, Technologist, anybody - Any ideas on my problem as per last post! Not getting anywhere with my problem on installing Adobe Creative Suite. See above. Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
We can't help you unless we know exactly which version of the Creative Suite you have.

The system requirements will be listed there on the box. You will have to read it for yourself, we can't read it for you. If you don't understand it, you can post the system requirements from the box and someone can try to explain it to you.

Or you can post the exact version number from the box, and we can try to look up that version's requirements and explain them to you.

OP
D
Reaction score
OS X 10.3 need help

My last post . . . Kahlil88 - Apologies for not getting back sooner, but I just had a break away from home. Anyway I've looked at the CD case and just noticed (in small print) that the Adobe Creative Suite (which includes P/Shop, InDesign, Illustrator, GoLive, Acrobat among others), says it is optimised for the Powermac G5. So, have I a prayer with my G4? Is there a workaround to install it on my Mac? Hopefully there is.
- decmac

Adobe Creative Suite Premium, that's it. Also it says on the box that it is Optimised for the Power Mac G5 which I don't have. I have the Serial Numbers as well. I assume you do not need them to progress my problem but if you do that's not a problem. See my previous post above for more info. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
We can't help you unless we know exactly which version of the Creative Suite you have.

As technologist said we need to know which version. For your info with your machine and OS Creative Suite 2 is the latest version that will install. Premium will probably require a late edition of Tiger OS X.4. Have a look at this link:-

Adobe Creative Suite 2

The version you have obviously will install on a PowerMac G5 only and exclusively.

OP
D
Reaction score
OS 10.3 Adobe Creative Suite

As technologist said we need to know which version. For your info with your machine and OS Creative Suite 2 is the latest version that will install. Premium will probably require a late edition of Tiger OS X.4. Have a look at this link:-

Adobe Creative Suite 2

The version you have obviously will install on a PowerMac G5 only and exclusively.

Thanks harryb2448 for your reply. I obviously have some great software (Adobe Creative Suite Premium) but my G4 isn't up to it, need something stronger (G5 or a new laptop) to run it. By the way I was searching around for a version number all along but it hadn't any on the jewel case, then I noticed it was the Premium version of Adobe Creative Suite. Sorry about that. Thanks to everyone for their help and patience. Now what would you recommend that I buy in a laptop . . . there's so much choice!:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC 25 - OSX 10.5.5
PowerBook G4 MAC OS X 10.3.9 updating software problem
Hi,
I would appreciate any advice on my updating software problem. My Mac is connected to the internet but will not update any software. It runs like it is completing operation but always fails. I found a thread and ran a disk repair on permissions but nothing changed.
Thank you,
MargaretM

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.