All adobe software unexpectedly quits on launch

E

emmarandom

My Mac (867hz dual processor mirror door G4 - OSX 10.3.8) had a funny 5 minutes where it got stuck in a sleep loop. Having got out of that, on the next startup, the monitor went weird - kind of fish-eye lens effect. I seemed to have sorted that, but since then, all my adobe software will not launch. Photoshop seems to be starting, gets the bit on that start-up screen where it says 'reading fonts' then unexpectedly quits. All other Adobe softwares just bounce in the dock and disappear (Illustrator 10 & all of creative suite, Adobe Acrobat Professional - although bizarrely Distiller 6 loads OK, Photoshop 7 & CS) - All other software is fine, Quark etc. I've tried various troubleshoots, repairing permissions, re-installing, getting rid of preferences and caches, temporarily removing the Library:Fonts and App Support fonts etc, but nothing has worked - HELP!

Reaction score
we installed creative suite 2 on my friends imac g4, 1.33GHz w/768MB ram, and for some reason the exact same problems are happening to him. distiller works fine, but photoshop gets to the "reading fonts" screen and then dies, and the rest just dance around in the dock. and since theres pretty much nothing on google and this post has no replies, i was wondering if anyone could help out now?
he's not having all of the other problems described by the OP, but the adobe problems all apply.
any ideas?

Reaction score
so we found that there was a corrupted font installed.
the fonts name was "99"

so if anyone else has this problem, disable your non-standard fonts and see if it works. if it does, go through the other fonts until you find the one thats corrupted

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.