• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

13" Macbook Pro missing the audio input port

Reaction score
After looking closely at each side of the 13" Macbook Pro I noticed something that most people may not have noticed at first glance. There is a missing audio input jack and there is only the headphone jack. It may not be something a lot of people miss or even notice but it may affect some people. I believe what they did was combine input and output channels to that jack. If you look at the 15" and 17" models you'll notice that there are 2 seperate ports for audio input and output. I'm wondering how this will change things, if it changes things at all. All the description says is: "Combined optical digital output/headphone out (user-selectable audio analog line in)" In other words, the only way you can input and output audio at the same time is if you have a headset.

The only known problem I know it can present is when I want to output sound over the speakers while inputting sound into recorder software? How do I do this? Maybe someone can test it out when they get their 13" Macbook Pro. I wonder why they only did this on the 13" Pro?

October 2008 version
2971278105_752a1542eb.jpg

June 2009 version
gallery-big-04.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
Can confirm that on the Apple website, it says 'Audio In / Out'...

Good find livinitup1! How weird!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
This has been in a lot of blogs today as people have been receiving early models for testing. It's apparently a necessity to save space for all the additions. I suppose as long as there are 2-to-1 adapters for headsets it shouldn't be an issue for the vast majority, but it does detract a little from it being a "Pro" when capabilities are stripped away.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook aluminium 2,4ghz 2gb ram 250gb hdd and enlightened keyboard
there is one but its actually inside the audio out.
i plugged my iphone earplugs (with the microphone in it), and it had the microphone capability as well as the remote push button from the earplug..

:D

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
there is one but its actually inside the audio out.
i plugged my iphone earplugs (with the microphone in it), and it had the microphone capability as well as the remote push button from the earplug..

:D

That's all good and all but I think the issue is what happens if they need them separate for some reason.

OP
L
Reaction score
That's all good and all but I think the issue is what happens if they need them separate for some reason.

Correct, I'm not sure if it only works for both output and input via headset or if the port switches between output and input modes when it detects an incoming frequency. For instance, if I plugged in a microphone to the port will it automatically switch to being an audio input port, and while this is happening can I still play music through my laptop speakers? Then, when I use headphones will it automatically act as a regular audio output port or will I need to switch this functionality back and forth using software on the Macbook?

Wait, what if I use a headset that has cords for both the output and input ports, like many out there, what do I do then? This may affect me in the future when I use Rosetta Stone and plug my headset into the computer; I'm not sure if it has 2 jacks to allow the headset to work or 1.

Apple hasn't said anything about this whatsoever but this change definitely raises a few questions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Either way it's BS, and I'm glad my 13 inch alumbook has both. You need input and output separate if you are recording into your laptop and want a monitor in the headphones (i.e. with vocal tracks) and sorry kids, your iPhone earbuds with a mic don't cut it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 2ghz Dual Processor, 12" Scrolling TrackPad Powerbook
Either way it's BS, and I'm glad my 13 inch alumbook has both. You need input and output separate if you are recording into your laptop and want a monitor in the headphones (i.e. with vocal tracks) and sorry kids, your iPhone earbuds with a mic don't cut it.

I suppose Apple is assuming that anyone doing professional or home recording studio work would be using a USB or Firewire multichannel audio I/O device.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
::24" 2.8ghz iMac w/ nVidia 8800GS::2.4Ghz Unibody Macbook::
Apple did a great job. They lowered the price, added an sd card slot, and brought firewire to the 13" Aluminum. Yes you did lose an audio input jack, but there is always give and take.

No matter what apple puts out someone will complain. Be happy with what you have and if it's imperative to have a separate audio in then buy the 15"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I suppose Apple is assuming that anyone doing professional or home recording studio work would be using a USB or Firewire multichannel audio I/O device.
Agreed. Worst case you have to buy an iMic audio adapter for $39. But with firewire 800 back on the scene, you can at least grab one of the more professional firewire interfaces...

OP
L
Reaction score
I still have yet to use Firewire or find a device that uses it so it didn't matter much to me. I am glad for all of you guys who need it that finally got it. The SD slot is cool, now I don't need to bring my USB camera connector with me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13"/2.53GHz/4GB/320GB & 2009 Mini 2.53GHz/4GB/320GB
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In the WWDC keynote they said that less than 1% of 13" owers actually used the audio input jack. Also, space is so limited on the 13" MBP the SD card does not fully insert into the body of the notebook. About half of the card sticks out.

AppleInsider | 13-inch MacBook Pro teardown reveals "unimaginative" SD Card slot

Actually that quote is referring to the ExpressCard slot on past 15' MBPs, not the audio input on the MBs. I'm pretty sure the lack of separate audio input/output jacks was conveniently left out of the keynote presentation.

Reaction score
I think it's a logical choice as you're not going to record something while listening to something with headphones

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13"/2.53GHz/4GB/320GB & 2009 Mini 2.53GHz/4GB/320GB
thanks for the correction fleurya. went back and rewatched

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too bad they couldn't put an SD slot of the 17" as well as the ExpressCard. Seems like there would be room in a chassis that big.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD
Yer, its got a headphone jack,
then a LINE IN jack
this does not supply power to an external microphone,
which means that you would have to buy a usb device to use a mic
like i had to do!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 15in, 2.66ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GPU, 320gb HDD
There is also the possibility of using a usb audio device for both input and output..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
I think it's a logical choice as you're not going to record something while listening to something with headphones

ever heard of a monitor?

Yer, its got a headphone jack,
then a LINE IN jack
this does not supply power to an external microphone,
which means that you would have to buy a usb device to use a mic
like i had to do!!

not if you're using a pre-amp with a line out and a quarter to 8th adapter.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.