Clicked Command-N, and 106 windows opened!

ale

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a Macbook since Dec. 2008. Yesterday, after downloaded a trial version of a screensaver from the apple site (official site), I started to surf the web via Safari as usual. Since I had already opened a safari window I just clicked Command-N to open a new window but all of a sudden 106 safari windows opened!!!! one after one, non-stop!.. then when trying to close them, the mac did not react.. the screen was like " blinking" everytime I tried to click the "Safari " in order to exit..it took forever to have some response from the Mac.. later, after so many attempts to make it work, I got a message asking if I wanted to close the 106 safari windows... Finally, after several minutes, without forcing anything, I could log out.. Has anyone experienced something like this?? what could have happened?? the only
"new" thing I did yesterday was to download that screensaver which I never installed..
If someone knows why this happened, please let me know..

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Command "N" opened all your bookmarks. :)

Regards.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Command "N" opened all your bookmarks. :)

Regards.

holy moly :Cool:

didn't know that shortcut - gonna try that when I get home and see how long I can lock mine up for :D

OP
A

ale

Reaction score
Hi,

To the person who said that when clicking command-N, it opened all my bookmarks, I have to say that is not true. Since Dec. 2008 when I first got the MAC, I was taught to follow command-n to open a new window either on Safari, stickies, etc.. I have always done this and worked perfect, always opening a single window, not 106 in just 10 seconds!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
holy moly :Cool:

didn't know that shortcut - gonna try that when I get home and see how long I can lock mine up for :D

It is possible to set your default page to your Bookmarks folder, which will make each window open each and every one of your bookmarks in a tab, but I'm not aware of any way to make it open more than one window at a time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
If u look in Safari/File drop down menu you will see command N annotated for opening new window and that is standard for most Apps/ Have you tried quitting Safari and opening again or shut down the Mac and restart - sometimes with bogus events that is all that is needed.

OP
A

ale

Reaction score
Hey Collin,

My problem was that I followed the typical command "cmd+N" to open a new Safari window, as I use to do everytime, but for some strange unknown reason, the Macbook went like crazy opening safari windows one after one until it opened 106 in just a few seconds!! then it kind of freezed since even though I was using the pointer to click the Safari drop/down menu to quit it, the mac did not react, it took forever to make it do something.. After several minutes I could manage to close all the 106 browser windows and log out. It has not happened again, but I still would like to know why it happened, was it my fault? or is it a bug may be? anyone who knows why this happened, please tell me!!..

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If your home page is set to your bookmarks folder, pressing Command N will open all your bookmarks. However, if your home page is set to Google then Command N will just open a new window with your home page, Google.

I just pressed Command N and Safari 4 opened my home page which I have set to "Top Sites".

What you experienced was probably a glitch. Can you duplicate it?

Regards.

OP
A

ale

Reaction score
Hi,

Whenever i open a new browser window, it opens the apple. com web site. nothing to do with bookmarks!!.. What I experienced was: opening a new window (apple.com) but instead of opening a SINGLE browser page, I got 106.. i could see the MAC opening window after window, all of them with the apple.com web site! just in a few seconds, which is not normal at all!! I could not and still cannot understand what I possible did to open 106 safari windows!! after it finished, it FREZZED! It did not react, the screen was like blinking, it did not accept me clicking "file" in order to quit Safari.. Is there anyone out there who can know what happened or why the MAC went like crazy opening all those safari windows, one after one??
Thanks..

If your home page is set to your bookmarks folder, pressing Command N will open all your bookmarks. However, if your home page is set to Google then Command N will just open a new window with your home page, Google.

I just pressed Command N and Safari 4 opened my home page which I have set to "Top Sites".

What you experienced was probably a glitch. Can you duplicate it?

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.