What's going on with my battery?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - 2.7 Ghz, Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM.
I just had a forum member ship me his battery with 29 cycles on it. I had to replace my old one since it overheated, expanded, and died (i.e. recalled in 2006).

However, this battery is acting weird. What it's doing:
- I initially tried to drain it down to 0% when it was still at 66%. Minutes later, the MacBook Pro just shut off until it was plugged back in.
- Task bar icon keeps switching between "Calculating...", "Not Charging", and then slowly gets more power (came to me at 66% and is now at 81%)
- The plugged-in power adapter keeps changing from green to orange
- The green lights on the actual battery are slowly filling up to the full five lights
- System Profiler says it's charging

So, it would appear it's charging, but why does the task bar keep saying "Not Charging"? Additionally, with only 29 cycles on it, shouldn't it eventually charge up to 3-4 hours? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Probably has not been looked after per this then if i were you i would do this in the hope that it would sort the issue.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Update: the "fully charged" battery causes the entire MBP to shut off immediately following the Apple boot sound and blue screen when running independently off the battery.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try zapping the PRAM see here that may get you going again

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ordering MacBook battery from Best Buy

Does anyone know if ordering a 15" MBP battery from Best Buy would be cheaper than the Apple Store?

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try zapping the PRAM see here that may get you going again

Tried that, didn't seem to do anything.

In System Profiler, it says "Condition: Check Battery," which according to another Apple forum means the charging circuits are toast.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Seems you might have to send in the MBP and batteries to have the charging issue checked and sorted.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Seems you might have to send in the MBP and batteries to have the charging issue checked and sorted.

I'm really hoping it's not the MBP. Basically, I got a recalled defective battery that came with the MBP from eBay. Worked great save for the battery. Then I bought a new battery off a forum member, who claimed it worked fine. It only had 29 cycles on it, but it's giving me all these problems I listed to you. So my next step is to go to Staples and get a brand new one with a warranty.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
It's the same price if you buy new.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, I'm trying to order a battery off BestBuy.com. They have a battery available for MBP model #Apple MA609LL/A. According to Wiki (MacBook Pro - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, I have either MA609LL or MA610LL. Will this battery from Best Buy still work for me?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.