Office 2008 SP1 update won't install

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24 OSX 10.5.7
I get the following error when I try to install Office 2008 SP1:

"You cannot install Office 2008 SP1 Update (12.1.0) on this volume. A version of the software required to install this update was not found on this volume."

I also tried to install Office 2008 12.1.9 Update with the same results.

I have been getting data base errors when I open Word or Excel as well. Not sure if they're related. I have tried to repair the data base using the utility, which says it found and repaired errors but if I run the verify again it still shows errors and says to run repair. I have reinstalled Office from the CD again but nothing changed. Word and Excel, the other apps I use, both work ok.

Many thanks in advance.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The latest update 12.1.9 is broken (at least it was yesterday when I attempted to install it). It downloads but does not include an installer. The resolution is to go directly to the Microsoft Mac Office 2008 downloads page and download the update from there. That update is much larger and includes the installer.

Office 2008 download Link.

Also - make sure you have not used a utility (such as Monolingual) to remove languages from your OS X installation. They are not compatible with Office 2008 causing the updater to refuse to download and install the service packs.

Regards.

OP
X
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24 OSX 10.5.7
Thanks, I will give it a shot.

OP
X
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24 OSX 10.5.7
After looking around on the website mentioned the only way to download it is the way I did it originally from that very website. I tried both downloads under the 2008 Office tab. I'm not sure if I'm missing something else.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.4 MHz iMac, 15" MacBook Pro , Mac OS 10.6.7
Microsoft Office 2008 For Mac Update 12.1.9, released 6/9/09, 154.1 MB, downloaded and installed on my MacBook Pro without incident by using their updater and not going to their web page this afternoon.

OP
X
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24 OSX 10.5.7
I finally got everything to work. I had to uninstall Office 2008 and then install it again. Once installed, it searched for and found both updates I had been trying to load and ran them successfully. It also fixed my data base error. Looks like something was corrupt and only a fresh install would fix it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.