Power Mac G4 install disks

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have acquired a working G4 for my grandchildren to access the internet. The unit came with OS X, but i could nmot get past the user name and password. In any case, i would like to do a clean install. I have Tiger from my Mac mini days (intel version), but i understand I cannot use this.

I have searched ebay for the disks, but cannot find any - do you guys know where i can get the coreecet disks?

Cheers

Jim Lanyon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
You could try Apple, or get a retail copy of Leopard or Tiger.

OP
L
Reaction score
Don't know if it will run Leopard...

I have looked on the Internet but can't find anything...Will keep searching though.

Jim

OP
L
Reaction score
Update....

Using Command option nV, allowed the machine to boot into a log on screen, so I am back to square 1.

Is there any way to reset the user name and password without buying a retail version of Tiger? As I got the machine for nothing, it seems pointless to spend a lot of money on it just for kids internet...

Jim

Lkr

Reaction score
You could try doing it in Single User Mode:

(Re)boot while pressing <COMMAND> <S>.
Type "mount -uw /" <ENTER>
Type "sh /etc/rc" <ENTER>
Type "passwd root" <ENTER>
Type and retype a <password of choice>
Type "reboot"
At the login window, log in as "root" / "<your password of choice>"
Goto System prefs, and reset th epassword of the normal admin account.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 266ghz, 4gig, 320gigHD, MacBook, 2.4ghz,250gigHD,4gigRam
Call Apple, I received two iBooks from co-workers that worked but didn't have the restore disks and when checked Ebay the nut cases wanted $120 to $250 for a retail version of Tiger OS X 4.11. I called 1 800 apple and they sent me a retail version for $16 plus shipping, thats for a DVD drive (1disk). If you only have a CD drive I think it takes 4 or 5 CDs. Just a note, the disk will say "replacment DVD/CD not for resale" on it and it is a retail version because it worked on both iBooks 466mgz and 900mgz.

HTH, Rick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.