13" Macbook Pro displays same as 9CA5 screens or better?

Reaction score
I remember people talking about how they noticed that their April-bought Alumbooks had better LED screens when compared to previous Alumbooks. I'm wondering if Apple improved the displays even further since April now that the 13" Macbooks are now Macbook Pros. Would someone be able to confirm whether they did or didn't improve the displays since April? The April screens should be "9CA5" screens so if the screens have changed then they wouldn't resemble the "9CA5" range. I'm just curious really. Thanks guys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2.8ghz, iPhone 3G S
Well I got the new 15 inch Macbook Pro here and whilst the colours are definitely brighter, I think the overall screen quality is not as good as the previous revision of the Unibody. Not sure why, just doesn't seem as good to me, little disappointed. My perception is that the price cut has perhaps meant one or two shortcuts here and there.

OP
L
Reaction score
Hmm, well it was the 13" Macbooks sold between October 2008 and April 2009 that had bad screens. It was noted in April that the screens had quietly been upgraded and had deeper blacks. From what I heard the 15" Pros already had great screens so the quality was never a problem. I could be wrong but I noticed most complaints had to do with the 13" Macbook. What's the model no. of your display?

Reaction score
I have been scouring the web for the same info.... Hopefully someone will reply.

OP
L
Reaction score
Yeah. Apple said the screen has a 60% better color gamut than before but since they quietly updated the screens in April then they could mean that the screens have improved that much comparing it to the plastic Macbooks or the October Macbooks. Not sure what they're comparing it to though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Where do I see what display I have? It isn't under graphics/displays in system profiler.

OP
L
Reaction score
Hey guys, just an update. I found a thread on the MacRumors forums saying that the displays in the new 13" Macbook Pros ARE different. Some say they have Chi Mei displays and others say they have LG-Philips displays, which are branded as Samsung. I thought Apple would stick with 1 display for their 13" Macbook Pros. Have a read.

9CA0 LCD in my 13" MacBook Pro - Mac Forums

To find what display you have, type the following command in Terminal (should be located in the Utilities folder on a Mac):

ioreg -lw0 | grep IODisplayEDID | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

I hope I get an LG-Philips display when I get mine because that seems to be the best in terms of contrast-ratio.

Reaction score
So I couldn't resist and went and got the MBP 13inch. The screen is a serious step up from the previous version. I would say that its very comparable to my early 08 MBP 15 inch. If your hesitating don't you won't regret it. BTW I have the LG screen.

OP
L
Reaction score
So I couldn't resist and went and got the MBP 13inch. The screen is a serious step up from the previous version. I would say that its very comparable to my early 08 MBP 15 inch. If your hesitating don't you won't regret it. BTW I have the LG screen.

Good job man. I wonder what the chances are that someone will get an LG screen or a Chi Mei screen. I also hear that the 15" Pros can get over 8 hours while doing light web work, more than their originally stated 7 hours. This is the Macbook to get, hardly any complains against it at all and the speeds are great too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Sick, I've got the 9ca8, which they apparently updated to around april 09. Sweet since I got my machine as a refurb at the end of april 09.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.26 13" MBP, WD 7200 RPM 320GB HDD, 4GB RAM; 2 EDU iBook G4s, 4g nano, 16GB 2g Touch, shuffle
I typed in the code in the terminal. I received this:

P .00 6
LTN133AT09
Color LCD

Can anyone tell me what that means?

Thank you!

Reaction score
Good job man. I wonder what the chances are that someone will get an LG screen or a Chi Mei screen. I also hear that the 15" Pros can get over 8 hours while doing light web work, more than their originally stated 7 hours. This is the Macbook to get, hardly any complains against it at all and the speeds are great too.

Yeah I have to say the battery seems to be amazing. I haven't used it much as of yet but the projected life (the timer next to the battery symbol) is between 7-8hrs. I watched a few vids and the screen is superb. Also it definitely goes much brighter so outside (it is reflective though) use is enhanced. I can safely say this new version of the 13 mbp is worth the upgrade if your using anything more than a generation ago. Fit and finish is also perfect, this feels like a well built, tight spec piece of equipment. Feels snappy as well, I can't comment on intense program use as this machine is only for email and web surfing. FYI if you want to jump up to 4gb ram newegg has it for less than 60 bucks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.