• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Will There Ever Be A Right Time To Buy An Apple Product??

Reaction score
The reason that I'm writing about this is even though I love Apple, I hate it at the same time. There is never a "good" time to buy an Apple product... Every time you think you are buying the latest and greatest thing from Apple, a new and better something comes out right after you buy it. This has happened to me every time I buy something from them. Don't get me wrong, the advancements this company makes are extraordinary but it makes it hard to stay updated with the latest technology.
When I recently bought my MacBook Pro it was the best that you could buy at the time. I had an employee at the Apple store tell me that I would have the best laptop on the market for awhile. Here it is two months later and a new family of MacBook Pros come out much cheaper and much more power than the one I bought a few months prior.
It makes me sick to look at the Apple website in fear that something new has come out that I will be completely envious of.
WHEN WILL THIS EVER END?!?!?!

Will there ever be a right time to buy an Apple product?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
t... Every time you think you are buying the latest and greatest thing... a new and better something comes out right after you buy it. ...
WHEN WILL THIS EVER END?!?!?!
Welcome to the world of Computer Technology.
It is a constantly evolving and changing market. It will never end.

This same scenario happens with any technology company. It is not unique to Apple.

My advice:

Stop worrying about trying to be the guy with the "latest and greatest thing".
Be happy with what you have and be glad it does what it is supposed to do.
:)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Heh yeah if you need it, then the time is right.
Agreed. The right time is the time you want it.

I don't understand why people are so frustrated that Apple does what every company on the planet does? Are we supposed to have companies become stagnant in terms of innovation for the sake of appeasing a few frustrated individuals?

I need to stop answering the abundant number of frustrated people who don't seem to understand how business works.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I need to stop answering the abundant number of frustrated people who don't seem to understand how business works.

Join the club. Sometimes we just can't help ourselves.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I don't get it. I just don't get it. Why is it people are under the impression that Apple is the only company that updates their hardware? No one ever complains about Dell or HP or Sony or any others. Am I just out of touch and those companies have actually been selling the same hardware for the past 20 years? I just don't get it.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I don't get it. I just don't get it. Why is it people are under the impression that Apple is the only company that updates their hardware? No one ever complains about Dell or HP or Sony or any others. Am I just out of touch and those companies have actually been selling the same hardware for the past 20 years? I just don't get it.
I agree but someone (for the life of me I can't remember who) made a good point: those companies don't have large conferences where they announce new hardware and updates happen slowly over time. That said, this doesn't excuse the lack of understanding that many people have of business and innovation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO

I think it's because Apple has more of a cult following.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Buy a PC. They never update anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini
You won't regret it

Apple time at anytime.
You should not be worried about the next big thing. Trust me, You will be more than happy with your Mac.

Reaction score
I would suggest right AFTER the product in question gets an upgrade. How ever, with my iMac, I'm glad I bought it when I did, because when Apple upgraded it, the Graphics Card was not on the list of "suggested" cards for Spore.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD, OS X 10.6.6, iPod Classic 160GB, iPhone 4
Buy a PC. They never update anything.

LOL

The only business that doesn't continually improve itself is government unfortunately. If they did, they'd be as prosperous as a company like Apple. Does it suck if you bought a new iPhone 2 weeks ago and found out today that you should have waited till yesterday to buy it? YES. Deal with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I think the more pertinent question is whether there's ever a wrong time to buy an Apple product? ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (late 2008), OS 10.6.2, FCE 4.0.1, CS 1
Will There Ever Be A Right Time To Buy An Apple Product??

Right now

OP
M
Reaction score
I'm not just saying Apple is the only company that does this, obviously not. I am a loyal Apple consumer and will be for life. I'm not interested in what other companies our doing. I just thought I would write about the constant feeling of "****, I should of waited a little longer to get this"...

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'm not just saying Apple is the only company that does this, obviously not. I am a loyal Apple consumer and will be for life. I'm not interested in what other companies our doing. I just thought I would write about the constant feeling of "****, I should of waited a little longer to get this"...

Nothing will change that feeling - and as others have pointed out, it's nothing unique to Apple. So your assertion that you both love and hate Apple for this reason implies that you are not aware of this very common practice.

I remember a commercial about 15 years ago. A guy had purchased a brand new computer and was hauling it home in his car. As he was driving down the highway, he notices a billboard going up with a picture of the latest and greatest version of the same computer he just bought, rendering it instantly obsolete (or at least that's how the voiceover explained it). I can't for the life of me remember what the commercial was for, but it illustrated something that was common knowledge, even when computers were much less mature. The minute you buy it, something bigger, better, faster is going to come along. You just have to accept that fact.

So, like I always say - buy the best computer you can afford at the time you need it. It will continue to serve your needs long after the next big thing comes along. Be happy with what you have, not what you could have had, because there is nothing fulfilling in the unattainable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
This is the great unknown of this technological age and applies to computers, motor cars, boats, aircraft and whatever else you care to name.

If you need it and it meets those needs ~ buy it and be happy!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook: 1GB 667 MHz RAM, 2.16 Intel core duo 2, 120GB Hard Drive. Iphone 3G.
LOL
Does it suck if you bought a new iPhone 2 weeks ago and found out today that you should have waited till yesterday to buy it? YES. Deal with it.

Was that you by any chance? Or was it just an example lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook White - 2.0Ghz Core 2 Duo - 4GB RAM - 120GB HDD - GeForce 9400M - OS X 10.5.7
Be happy with what you have, not what you could have had, because there is nothing fulfilling in the unattainable.

You're so wise! :eek:

But that's the truth, be happy with what you have because I'm sure it suits your needs perfectly!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.