iPhone 3GS ringtones

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" i7, iBook G4, iPod 5th Gen 30Gb
Hi guys,

I'm really excited about the new iPhone release, my contract runs out in december and I'm looking to get the new iPhone to replace my Nokia N95 when it does.

I am, however still weighing up the pros and cons of each.

Does anyone know if the iPhone 3GS and iPhone OS 3 supports using music as ringtones? From a bit of research I've found that the old iPhone and iPhone3G didn't.

If not, is there 'an app for that'?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook c2d, 2.0 GHz, 4GB RAM, 320GB Harddrive, 16GB iPhone 3G
You can make your own ringtones in Garage Band

OP
tom_hoyle
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't want to have to make my own, I just want to pick a song from my iTunes library and set it is a ringtone. I can do that with my N95.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
We don't know. The iPhone 3G S and OS 3.0 are not released yet.

However it is very likely that it's not possible. It's not possible currently and probably won't be. They will still charge the .99 cent fee to convert songs to ringtones.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
You can do that now. Just fire up Garageband and hit the Export as ringtone option. However, it will only send the first 30 seconds of the song. If you want to use any other part of the song as a ringtone, you will have to select the portion you want and then export that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
You can do that now. Just fire up Garageband and hit the Export as ringtone option. However, it will only send the first 30 seconds of the song. If you want to use any other part of the song as a ringtone, you will have to select the portion you want and then export that.

That is a great way Kash, however he said he doesn't want to make his own. He just wants to pick any song from his Library and use that as a ringtone. His N95 does it.

OP
tom_hoyle
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't have iLife '09 either, I'm running the version of garage band that came with my iBook G4 which is about 5 or 6 years old now

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.