Apologies now, if this has been asked before (PC to MAC transfering)

G

Gauvain

Hello gang!

I am going to be a new MAC owner shortly (MINI of course for affordability) The one thing I would like to know is this, what will be the easiest way to hook them up and transfer files from a ME machine (yuck!) I have read somewhere that the MAC wont even need a special cable for networking directly. It can use regular LAN cable. Will I have to borrow a router from someone? I have hooked up before with an XP machine to a ibook. But it was very wierd, the PC wouldnt see it but the MAC could.

Thanks alot guys and gals!

Robert

P.S. Yippeee the Mac is shipping two weeks early! I have everything here waiting for it. Ram, monitor, keyboard-mouse,MAC Office X,airport w/ airtunes....im almost giddy!

OP
D

Desolate One

Nope, no special cable needed. Since I already had a network setup here all I needed to do was plug my mac into the switch and madee sure file sharing was enabled on my PCs. That's it!

Welcome aboard and congrats on the Mac! :mac:

OP
C

cadsmn

If you don't have a router, hub or switch you will need a crossover cable assuming your ME box has an Ethernet adaptor.

OP
G

Gauvain

it does have a ethernet, so I WILL need a crossover cable? OK thats fine Ill probably just access a router instead. save time and problems maybe...just got word that my Mini is in China, well leaving china at least...

Robert

OP
D

DCyamaha

If i burn all of my old files that I want to keep MP3s, word docs, excel, etc. Will my mac be able to read these CDs that i burn Assuming I have the correct software (MS office for mac)??

Reaction score
DCyamaha said:
If i burn all of my old files that I want to keep MP3s, word docs, excel, etc. Will my mac be able to read these CDs that i burn Assuming I have the correct software (MS office for mac)??

Absolutly. Anything you burn on a mac or pc can be read by either. And yes, obviously you will need to correct software to open those certain types.

But everything will transfer w/ out a problem.

Happy switching!

OP
B

bopat

And just so you know (before u get flammed by the seniors).....

It's a Mac (short for Macintosh) not a MAC!!! ;)

OP
G

Gauvain

well im posting this from my MINI with the 1 gig stick...

loving it, if i could only get my pc burner to work now i could transfer everything.

robert

thanks for the help on my Mac guys!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.