New to Macs and a Hi.

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

So after almost 15 years on a PC, I finally decided to join the darkside. I found a KILLER deal on a macbook with a busted LCD and I wanted to upgrade it while I see how I like Mac`s. I just want to make sure everything I want is computable. heres the model I picked up

Apple MacBook MA255LL/A

* 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo processor with 2 MB shared L2 Cache
* 512 MB (two SO-DIMM) 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-5300); 60 GB 5400 rpm Serial ATA hard drive; slot-load SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)
* One FireWire 400, two USB 2.0 ports, Mini-DVI port with support for DVI, VGA, S-video, and composite video output (requires adapters, sold separately)
* Built-in 10/100/1000BASE-T (Gigabit); built-in 54 Mbps AirPort Extreme (802.11g); built-in Bluetooth 2.0+EDR
* 13.3-inch (diagonal) glossy TFT widescreen display, 1280 x 800 resolution

Processor, Memory, and Motherboard
* Hardware Platform: Mac
* Processor: 2 GHz Intel Centrino
* System Bus Speed: 667
* Number of Processors: 2
* RAM: 512 MB
* RAM Type: DDR2 SDRAM
Hard Drive
* Size: 60 GB
* Type: Serial ATA
Graphics and Display
* Graphics Card: Intel GMA 950
* Graphics RAM: 64.00 MB
* LCD Native Resolution: 1282 x 800

So I have the new LCD on the way along with os x leopard but I read a few things that have me confused. I heard this machine is only expandable to 2 gigs and I herd that people were having trouble getting SSD`s to work. Is this just software related? I mean If I upgrade to leopard can I upgrade this machine to a 4 gig and put an SSD in it?

When I searched on SSDs in the macbooks It seems like a ton of people said it does work and a ton said they couldn't get the mac to recognized the drive. I want to clarify this before I buy a $400+ SSD.

Thanks for the advice guys. I have always wanted a SSD and a mac so I figured now is the best time since im getting the macbook for so cheap!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
First, that processor is not a Centrino.

That looks to be an early or the first version of a Macbook. The memory controller limits it to 2GB. Blame Intel for that.

I don't know why upgrading to a SSD drive would be a problem. Perhaps size or power issues? Look at what brands people are having success with.

OP
M
Reaction score
First, that processor is not a Centrino.

That looks to be an early or the first version of a Macbook. The memory controller limits it to 2GB. Blame Intel for that.

I don't know why upgrading to a SSD drive would be a problem. Perhaps size or power issues? Look at what brands people are having success with.

I was just told that the new sata speced SSDs wont work with the old controllers on my older macbook...

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.