10.3 OS x question -swtiching-

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 1.2 ghz / 30GB 4200 / 1.25 GIG
I just purchased an iBook g3

My friend has the OS X software, ok.. i hear all you guys mentioning 10.3.3 and so on... to 10.3.8 how do I make mine to 10.3.8? Do I have to buy 10.3.8 software, or do I just install an update?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
When you install OS X.3(10.3), the first time you boot up it and get in(past the registration etc) it should pop up with Software update. It will be the 10.3.8 combo(can bring you from any 10.3.x to 10.3.8) along with some other updates.

If it does not pop up, you can always : Apple Menu>Software Update.

OP
iphix
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ApplejustWorks said:
When you install OS X.3(10.3), the first time you boot up it and get in(past the registration etc) it should pop up with Software update. It will be the 10.3.8 combo(can bring you from any 10.3.x to 10.3.8) along with some other updates.

If it does not pop up, you can always : Apple Menu>Software Update.

Registration? I thought apple didn't go through registration and all the crap like microsoft does?

Is it still ok for me to use my friend's os x?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
its still ok if you use it, illegal, but ok. theres no serial or anything, and registration is just so they can contact you if needed, etc, it also sets up your email and internet for you.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
After you bring your system up 10.3, I would download the Mac OS X Update 10.3.8 (Combo). I would use it to get your system to 10.3.8. I find downloading the combo update and installing to be better for me.

X

xthisisRomancex

u can hit the apple in the top right corner of your screen then go to software update and then download the updated software

OP
iphix
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mk, thanks guys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
iphix said:
Registration? I thought apple didn't go through registration and all the crap like microsoft does?

Is it still ok for me to use my friend's os x?
Every company tries to get you to register your software. The difference is that microsoft wants to force you to do it.

You can choose not to register your mac or your apple software if you want...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
Aptmunich said:
Every company tries to get you to register your software. The difference is that microsoft wants to force you to do it.

You can choose not to register your mac or your apple software if you want...

Um, no. Microsoft forces you to activate, which sends the cd-key with a hardware hash to their servers to check that it is a legal copy that hasn't been installed numerous times before.

At the point you activate, you have the choice to "activate & register" or just "activate." There is no forcing to register. And frankly try running an iPod if you think that Apple trusts you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Excuse me––I didn't mean registering..I meant "configuring your computer to you likes and needs"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
The locked library and lack of being able to copy mp3s to or from a different computer without work arounds. Obviously because anyone doing that is stealing music, right?

Even though I like my iPod this "assume the user is a thief" functionality of iTunes is really annoying. Having music on a few different computers in different locations I'd hopped I could unifiy my library and have it all on my iPod. Nope, not without copying everything over to a single computer and then transfering it over in that fashion. Not to mention the Audible books that I have to now download to my one computer with a linked library. It's a big PITA, and I'd really prefer it if Apple didn't assume I was stealing from them or someone else and make their software more functional.

Anyways, its currently a pet peeve of mine so I kind of get irritated on the issue of activation and how Apple trusts people not to be pirates because they don't have to activate OS X.

So yeah, not much to do with the topic, other than the not quite according to the licence agreement install of OSX mentioned above.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
dan828 said:
Even though I like my iPod this "assume the user is a thief" functionality of iTunes is really annoying. Having music on a few different computers in different locations I'd hopped I could unifiy my library and have it all on my iPod.

Turn of Autosync and you can put all the music from all of your computers onto the iPod without putting the music on one computer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
MichaelSullivan said:
What does the IPod do?
WHAT?!
dont make me
*walks off mumbling* lol.
go to apple.com and look at the ipods please. sorry about the above joke.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 1.2 1.25Gig RAM Emac 1.42Ghz 1GB RAM
dan828 said:
The locked library and lack of being able to copy mp3s to or from a different computer without work arounds. Obviously because anyone doing that is stealing music, right?

Even though I like my iPod this "assume the user is a thief" functionality of iTunes is really annoying.

I don't use iTunes anymore to buy music, not since my old laptop died and I lost ~100 songs. However, it's perfectly fine for installing non copy protected mp3s onto my iPod, or burning them. It's when you use it to buy music from Apple that you get into trouble.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
lonerider said:
I don't use iTunes anymore to buy music, not since my old laptop died and I lost ~100 songs. However, it's perfectly fine for installing non copy protected mp3s onto my iPod, or burning them. It's when you use it to buy music from Apple that you get into trouble.

You could probably call Apple to let you redownload your songs that you purchased, but they warn you that they don't normally do it and that it will be the last time you can redownload the music. I think that you can authorize another computer to be able to download or transfer the music. But I'm not sure, because I don't buy music online.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
lonerider said:

Actually, that's not just iTunes..If you use any other download service(legal or not) you still are faced with the same dilema..As well, periodically, when you buy music from the iTMS, it reminds you to backup your songs...Something that regardless of your situation, should be done no matter how stable your computer(macs are the most) is.

Enjoy

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.