Upgrading to 10.6 with a fresh install

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 1.83Ghz Dual Core, 2 GB RAM, running 10.6.1
Hi Folks,

I'm fairly new Mac user and Snow Leopard will be my first operating system upgrade in the Mac world. Now I've done many OS upgrades on the PC and for most part when a new version of Windows comes out I just buy a new PC to get the latest and greatest hardware..Macs aren't that cheap so I'll be sticking with my mini for a while. :)

I prefer fresh installs to upgrades things just seem to go smoother smoother in the long run. I've already done a few fresh installs of Leopard (don't ask) but I have the original Grey DVDs that came with my Mini and I plan on buying an upgrade copy of Snow Leopard.

Here's my question: Will I be able to just boot from the snow leopard CD and wipe HD for the install with the $30 upgrade version OR will there have to be a copy of Leopard on the drive for the upgrade version to install.

If there has to be a version of Leopard on the drive for the upgrade will it be possible for me to install a fresh copy of 10.5 then upgrade or will I have to install 10.5 and patch it to the latest (10.5.7) then upgrade?

Thanks,
Dan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
No one knows for sure, but I think if you have 10.5 you would get a discounted price. If you don't, you'll have to pay more. But I'm not sure. There has been a lot of speculation going on.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The upgrade price has already been announced. If you're currently running Leopard, you can upgrade to Snow Leopard for $29.00. Release date reported to be September. (According to MacWorld news.)

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Unlike Windows, there's no such thing as a separate Upgrade copy of OS X. There's only one version, the full retail edition. It'll function exactly like how your restore discs have. Since you already have experience with that, you'll do just fine when Snow Leopard comes out.

OP
Big Dan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 1.83Ghz Dual Core, 2 GB RAM, running 10.6.1
Unlike Windows, there's no such thing as a separate Upgrade copy of OS X. There's only one version, the full retail edition. It'll function exactly like how your restore discs have. Since you already have experience with that, you'll do just fine when Snow Leopard comes out.

Sweet! Thanks. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" Late 2013 - 3.5GHz Core i7 - 32GB RAM - GTX 780< 4GB GPU
Thanks very much for succinctly answering the OP's question. I'm in the same boat and wanted to confirm that I would be able to conduct a full "scrape and pave" install of SL w/o first using the OEM disks.

Another newbie question...will I be able to walk into my local Apple Store and pick up an upgrade disk when it becomes available or should I add my name to the Amazon pre-order list? TIA.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Another newbie question...will I be able to walk into my local Apple Store and pick up an upgrade disk when it becomes available or should I add my name to the Amazon pre-order list? TIA.
You should be able to walk into an Apple Store and pick up a copy of SL assuming that they have enough copies. I've never bought OS X on a release date so I can't tell you for sure how busy it will or won't be.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook

There are indeed upgrade discs for OS X.
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.tuaw.com/media/2007/11/leopardupgrade103107.jpg
http://stingme.com/sale/tigerdrop600.jpg

These are the drop-ins that they will undoubtedly put in the box of any new computer without 10.6 installed on it already.
Drop-in discs cannot be used to do a full clean install.
The only way you'll be able to install it is if you already have 10.5.x installed.

The one you'll get at a discount is likely just that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You should be able to walk into an Apple Store and pick up a copy of SL assuming that they have enough copies. I've never bought OS X on a release date so I can't tell you for sure how busy it will or won't be.
Thanks for the speedy reply. If I decide to grab it opening day I'll post my experience. In the past I've often waited a while to see if there are any bugs that need working out but since this isn't a full overhaul I might get it first thing. Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There are indeed upgrade discs for OS X.
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.tuaw.com/media/2007/11/leopardupgrade103107.jpg
http://stingme.com/sale/tigerdrop600.jpg

These are the drop-ins that they will undoubtedly put in the box of any new computer without 10.6 installed on it already.
Drop-in discs cannot be used to do a full clean install.
The only way you'll be able to install it is if you already have 10.5.x installed.

The one you'll get at a discount is likely just that.
Hmmm...well that kind of contradicts Kash's reply. I'd really like to avoid having to use the OEM disk(s)/online upgrades if possible (no need for Rosetta, etc.) so a complete SL OS would be desirable. Hopefully that's what they will be selling as an upgrade w/confirmation of previous 10.5.x ownership during the registration step?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Hmmm...well that kind of contradicts Kash's reply.
It doesn't kind of contradict it... it does.
Kash is a knowledgeable guy when it comes to Macs, but in this case Kash is wrong. :)

Apple has/still does/will continue to make Upgrade Only discs.
That is why you're getting it so cheap... because you have to already own a valid full version to upgrade from.

This is nothing new, as you can see from the pics I linked, there is a drop-in upgrade for Tiger as well.
They did it for almost every version of OS X to date.

Why would they suddenly change tactics now?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It doesn't kind of contradict it... it does.
Okay...I'll let you two gentleman duke it out. It will be what it will be. I was just hoping for a "clean" install.

Cheers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
If you want a "Clean" install, buy the full retain disc, pretty simple.

On another note, there is no reason to do a "Clean" install since doing an "Archive and Install" put a new system on your machine and simply integrates your existing profile into with whatever changes need to be made for the new system. When your done' things like your desktop, documents, network settings and so on will be the same as before but you will have a brand spanking new core system.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I believe that's because "Archive and Install" is now the default. According to this Ars Technica article, "First, the options for "Erase and Install" and "Archive and Install" have apparently been removed. "Erase and Install" is still an option, should you need it, in Disk Utility. If you ever need to reinstall Snow Leopard, it will automatically archive and install." It would be best to wait and see what the installer really has available though when it is released.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.