Recharging iPod touch only by computer

Reaction score
I received my iPod touch last night and brought it to work today. When I plugged it into my iPod charger that goes into a wall socket, I got the message,"Charging is not supported with this accessory." The wall charger works fine with my regular 60GB video iPod.

Will the iPod touch only recharge when connected to my home computer--which it did fine last night? Or does it need its own specific wall charger?

This could be a major drawback. I'm planning a few trips this Summer, and now it looks like I won't be able to recharge my new iPod touch. Someone please tell me I'm wrong.

Sam

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
You can definitely charge with a wall charger, but I believe you have to have one that's designed for either the touch or the iPhone.

Interestingly, other iPods will charge just fine on the iPhone/iPod touch chargers.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The charging wires inside the devices themselves have moved from firewire to usb in the iPhone, iPod Touch (I think from Gen 2) and the new Nano. Yes, even when plugging the older models into the usb port on your computer. Well, not actually moved, the older models all charged on either the firewire or usb pins and so they will still work on the chargers for the newer devices.

You'll either need to replace your chargers and any older speakers with built in iPod docks or get an adapter. Apple has not come out with an adapter, but one company has come to the rescue - Scoche. Their adapter fits into any of the iPod universal docks and will let you charge the new devices on your old equipment.

Amazon carries it - link.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
And here's another handy little device - a Belkin mini surge protector with 2 built-in usb charging ports. A great gadget. I have a couple around the house and one at the office.

Also, available at Amazon - link.

Never have to plug your iPod or iPhone into your computer except when you want to sync.

(Don't work for Amazon, even though it's starting to look like it. Hey, maybe I should ask them if I can get commission.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook, 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2 GBs of Ram, X3100 Graphics
That's weird, I have a wall charger that's probably at least 5 years old and it charges my iTouch. It's a official Apple charger though, is yours third party? Maybe that's the problem.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's weird, I have a wall charger that's probably at least 5 years old and it charges my iTouch. It's a official Apple charger though, is yours third party? Maybe that's the problem.

The first gen iPod Touch does work on the older chargers. It changed with the 2nd gen and will no longer charge from firewire connections.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.