cursor problem

K

kathleen

I have a 12" Powerbook about 7 months old. Lately I the cursor has been acting funny. It jumps around all over the screen where I don't want it to go when I drag my finger across the touchpad. Or, it seems to get "stuck" as if a wall is in the way or something when I try to move the cursor to specific areas of the screen - especially the dock. Its movement it all around jerky. Basically it acts the way it does when you try to use the touchpad with another finger resting on it, or the way a mouse does when the ball or surface underneath is dirty. I cleaned the touchpad to no avail and my hands are clean. Anyone experience this before? What can I do?

OP
L

Lasha

I think your trackpad is experiencing some technical difficulties. Give Apple a call and tell them about your problem. They can get it repaired for free if you have Applecare. Did you ever drop the PowerBook, or accidently hit it with something, or anything of those sorts that might have caused a problem to go off?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" intel iMac, 15" MBP, 3 X 13.3" MB (family etc), G4 tower, 12" G4 PowerBook, iBook G4, 20" iMacG5
I agree with lasha. This happened on my old 15" powerbook after about 1 year of use.
I took it back to apple, and found out that it was a trackpad problem.
Hope you get it fixed.
Alex

OP
K

kmahesh

alexmaccoll said:
I agree with lasha. This happened on my old 15" powerbook after about 1 year of use.
I took it back to apple, and found out that it was a trackpad problem.
Hope you get it fixed.
Alex

Kathy - I got my PB 2 weeks back and this happens to me and it is VERY annoying - especially when I am typing an email. It looks we need to contact Apple for this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
try out an external mouse.

OP
K

kmahesh

Ok. There is some good news. I contacted Apple for this problem and this guy took me throught the process of power reset - I cant remember what is it called!. Basically, he asked me to remove the battery from PB and press and hold Option+Ctrl+Shift+Power key for 5 seconds or more. After adding the battery, the PB will ask you to set the time as this gets changed. Once you set this, "apparently" the issue is not to be noticed. So far I am okay. However, I still have disabled the horizontal scrolling feature as that drives me nuts.

Hope this helps ...

Good luck ....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.