Getting a Mac Mini

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a Mac Mini to complete my home theater. I'd use it to load all of my music on and to play HD video files on my TV. I have a few questions though:

1. Multiple users in my house have itunes and make playlists. What we'd want to do is listen to everyone's music but still be able to make playlists (something you can't do by listening to a shared itunes library). Is it possible to make itunes look at a networked location (the mac mini hard drive) for its music? I'm thinking that if this is possible, we'd be able to use the mac mini as if it were music on our own computers (and be able to make playlists from that music etc.)

2. Can a mac mini output 1080p HD resolution out of the box? Or do I need an adapter?

3. Can a mac mini output 5.1 surround sound? If not, what will I need to do this?

I'd really like to get a mac mini to bring my home entertainment full circle. Hopefully you guys will be able to answer some of these questions. Any help is appreciated!

OP
A
Reaction score
I just did this and ditched satellite. It rocks.

2. Yes. You just need an adapter for the Mini-DVI or the Mini DisplayPort - it comes with a Mini-DVI to DVI Adapter.
3. You need a Toslink to Optical mini adapter:

Amazon.com: Toslink To Optical Mini Adapter: Electronics

So your mac mini will put out 1080p???

Also, does the toslink adapter you speak of really put out 5.1 surround? Doesn't the mac mini need some kind of audio board to put out 5.1 surround sound??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 15" / 2.6GHz / 16GB / 512GB
The audio port is a Combined optical digital port. So it will be able to output 5.1 sound if your reciever and the media you are playing back supports it.

OP
A
Reaction score
Multiple users in my house have itunes and make playlists. What we'd want to do is listen to everyone's music but still be able to make playlists (something you can't do by listening to a shared itunes library). Is it possible to make itunes look at a networked location (the mac mini hard drive) for its music? I'm thinking that if this is possible, we'd be able to use the mac mini as if it were music on our own computers (and be able to make playlists from that music etc.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
What is up with all your lame replies and question marks? If someone has an answer for you they will let you know. Relax and/or do some research. Your responses have no info in them to tell us what you still need, what you have found, or what part you are missing. Sorry, but it is getting annoying. It also looks like louishen gave you one heck of a reply in your other thread.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
No worries. My point was this is a fantastic forum. If someone has an answer they will reply. Hope the solution in the other thread works for you!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.