Safari 4 Final Release Tabs Back on Bottom

Reaction score
Okay, so, I just downloaded the Safari 4 final release and installed it. To my dismay, the tabs are back on the bottom. I really really liked the tabs on the top after getting used to it. How can I put them back up on the top like the Beta?

Reaction score
How come yours are at the bottom? I've just upgraded to 4 and mine are at the top

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
I don't think he means they are on the bottom of the screen, but that they are below the bookmarks bar and not at the very top of the window. Mine are back in the same place they have been in previous releases, instead of at the very top like the beta.

OP
C
Reaction score
I don't think he means they are on the bottom of the screen, but that they are below the bookmarks bar and not at the very top of the window. Mine are back in the same place they have been in previous releases, instead of at the very top like the beta.

Yes, exactly. They were on top of the address bar in the beta. Now, they are below....which is very frustrating. I loved them at the top. Anyone know?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I'd say you got out voted by the masses of people that didn't like it.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I'd say you got out voted by the masses of people that didn't like it.

Agreed. In general most people seemed to hate the Tabs up top. I tried to get used to them up there but every time I tried to drag Safari around and clicked up there I changed tabs instead of moving safari.

So Apple listened to the people for a change! :D They could put in a switch for people who like them up top though.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
They'll probably be someone in the next week that comes out with a hack to move it back up there if you want. We had a hack within about 2 days to move them back to the bottom after the beta came out.

edit: tabs are bigger too - old eyes like that

OP
C
Reaction score
Agreed. In general most people seemed to hate the Tabs up top. I tried to get used to them up there but every time I tried to drag Safari around and clicked up there I changed tabs instead of moving safari.

So Apple listened to the people for a change! :D They could put in a switch for people who like them up top though.

It would be nice to have the option. I know it isn't for everyone, but I wish they didn't offer it in the beta then take it away. I, for one, really liked the tabs on top.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini - C2D 1.83GHz, 2GB, 320G HDD
I am deeply disappointed that they moved the tab location back... with the beta you could run defaults write com.apple.Safari DebugSafari4TabBarIsOnTop -bool FALSE to revert to the "classic" tab style. Tried this in reverse, but no luck. :'( Surely it couldn't have been that hard to leave in a configuration item.

Oh well, if Safari won't do it there is always Chrome or Opera...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
I liked them on the top as well. It's not that big of a deal to me though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 Ghz - 4Gig Ram - iPod 60gig Black - iPhone 3GS Black 32gig
So glad they did this - I couldn't stand having the tabs on top (I used the hack on the beta to but them back underneath) - disconnecting them from the page content seemed totally counter intuitive to me.

That said it would be a nice idea to allow users the choice if some people liked it.

Reaction score
I would rather have them on top also. Change doesn't bother me.

Reaction score
Glad to have them back

To each their own I guess... I for one am glad they got rid of the Top Tabs. It was a failed implementation, in my opinion, and no matter how you slice it, there were more people that hated it than those that loved it.

Do a google search on Safari 4 beta and returning tabs to the bottom and then do a search on Safari 4 final and returning tabs to the top. The pervious will yield far more complaints than the latter.

There just aren't enough upset people with the final release, so I doubt you will see an option added to put them back on top, though I am sure someone will make a hack for those that don't understand continuity.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.