Migration Helper Help

Reaction score
I just bought a new 17" macbook pro and tried transferring the files from my G5 using the migration assistant. The G5 has symantec antivirus and something popped up on my macbook pro during the transfer about symantec, although it did say the transfer was complete. It won't let me access any of the files, like the Library, that were transfered over from the other user, saying that I don't have sufficient access privileges. Did symantec have something to do with this? Should i just delete all of it and try it again? I'm not sure what to do. Thanks,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
When i shifted my data from my PPC laptop to my INTEL MBP i disabled Little Snitch so in your case i would disable the virus checker and then i imported all except Applications, which results in standard apple set of apps on the 17. Next i downloaded latest copies of Intel type 3rd party apps which meant all operated without drama once the process was done. My thinking that if there were subtle differences between PPC and INTEL in 3rd party apps then i was not copying across any potential problems with tricky troubleshooting to carry out after the event.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Second thought - have you used the same name for the User on the MBP as you did on the G5, if u didn't then you might have 2 User folders on the MBP and of course the permissions will be set differently.

OP
O
Reaction score
Yea I used the same name but gave it a different nickname in order for it to work. Sounds like I might have to disable the anti-virus software though and redo it, at least to try.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Look in Sys Prefs/Accounts and that should show if you have one User or 2

Reaction score
Log in as admin on your new machine. Make a new account if need be and open terminal and type the following command (without the quotes):

"sudo Chown -R /Users/<usershortenaeme>"

here is a breakdown of what is done.
command = sudo= superuser Chown = change ownership -R =Change the user ID and/or the group ID for the file hierarchies rooted in the files instead of just the files themselves. the /Users/<usershortenaeme> is the path to your homefolder.

once this is all done type:

"sudo exit"

and machine will reboot

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Log in as admin on your new machine. Make a new account if need be and open terminal and type the following command (without the quotes):

"sudo Chown -R /Users/<usershortenaeme>"

here is a breakdown of what is done.
command = sudo= superuser Chown = change ownership -R =Change the user ID and/or the group ID for the file hierarchies rooted in the files instead of just the files themselves. the /Users/<usershortenaeme> is the path to your homefolder.

once this is all done type:

"sudo exit"

and machine will reboot
You are missing the owner and or group in the command above.

chown - R owner[:group] /Users/<usershortenaeme>

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.