disk problems, crash during boot

Reaction score
crash on boot + hardware test errors

Hi.
I'm running Leopard on a year-old MacBook. I recently installed some new RAM and, although the RAM has been working fine for a couple days now, decided to do a hardware test just in case. The first quick test gave me the following error:
4SNS/1/40000000: TCOD-102.250
Then I ran an extended test with the following result:
4HDD/11/40000004: SATA(0,0)
Googling brought no enlightenment, but, seeing the "HDD" and "SATA" in there, I decided I would take Disk Utility for a spin before bugging forum crawlers to interpret the error messages for me. Verify disk permissions resulted in errors, so I ran a repair, which fixed some of them, but told it me it couldn't fix others. Then I tried verifying and repairing the disk: "Invalid key length. Volume check failed."
More annoyed than alarmed, I shut down and booted with the system DVD to try it again, with the same results. Things got interesting when I quit the installer and rebooted: Shortly after showing the Apple, my computer just dies every time. I've tried reinstalling OS X, but the installer informs me that that's not possible without reformatting the system partition.
I started in single user mode and ran fsck, which gave me the same error that Disk Utility did. That was about the limit of my ingenuity though, so I booted into Windows to post this.
...And to update my external backup data with HFSExplorer. As a long-time Windows user, I'm pretty used to the idea of nuking my system partition once a year for the sake of system hygiene -- but I'd love to hear that it isn't necessary.
Any help would be appreciated!

- Z

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.