• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Who rides a bike?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Ooh, scary. Any major injuries?

Just a lot of scratches and bruises from the branches. The bike surprisingly wasn't damaged.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
see sig...
I've got 3 bikes that sadly I've not been able to ride much. Mongoose full suspension mountain bike that needs to be adjusted, but the 1 local bike shop takes DAYS to get to a simple cable adjustment. Planning to do a custom motorized bicycle project from this one.

Also have a 1970's Schwinn Super Sport road bike, probably the single nicest bike I've ever been near in my life, and an England produced Raleigh (cannot remember the model at the moment, though) road bike.

I work from home, so I don't go out much, but when I do I am forced to ride the Mongoose that doesn't shift. Hopefully in the next couple weeks I can snag some replacement tires and tubes for both of my roadbikes and get back to riding them again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" imac
I ride a Cannondale 29er. I pull a trailer with my son in it all the time. I average about 10-15 miles per week. All I did to it was switch to clipless peddles, a Brooks saddle and a niterider light and tail light
9FS294_blk.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Cool thread! I'm in the market for a new mountain bike. I'm really looking to spend only around $600, which means mostly used bikes. It needs to have full suspension, and full disk brakes. I've been looking mostly at the Giant Trance, Anthem, and XT'x', As well as other similar bikes from Trek, and GT.

I currently have a mongoose from 2005 that I bought from my local bike shop. It has lasted me through all this time without a major hitch. The only problem is that I took a landing that I didn't expect to be so hard, ground the seat adjustments, and bent the handle bar. Quick fix. Now, my local shop has a
'10 Mongoose Otero Elite for $599. Perfect price range for a new bike! I tested rode it to compare with the $2999 Giant Trance they also had, and OBVIOUSLY they are going to be some better things with the Trance, most notably with its rear suspension design. The Otero felt real good compared to it. Looks good too!
Here it is: Mongoose |

My friends keep on telling me to not spend money on it, but they are also the ones have had more problems with their GT's in less than 1 year, than I have had in 6! So whatever they say goes in one ear, and out the other. I've been lurking around craiglist and ebay like a hawk, searching for something, but it's hard to trust something that has gone down to 1/3 of it's original price. Plus, my bike shop has been awesome throughout all these years. They throw parties for their customers, and hold track event's out at the Medina Off-Road track. They also have free lifetime adjustments and tire fixing.

Can someone please chime in?! I'm going crazy here. I obviously want the best I can get for what I'm paying, so if there's something else out there, let me know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Touch 4Gen 32Gb iMac 21'5 , 4GB memory, Core2Duo 3.06 GHz, 1 TB Hard Drive
Cool thread! I'm in the market for a new mountain bike. I'm really looking to spend only around $600, which means mostly used bikes. It needs to have full suspension, and full disk brakes. I've been looking mostly at the Giant Trance, Anthem, and XT'x', As well as other similar bikes from Trek, and GT.

I currently have a mongoose from 2005 that I bought from my local bike shop. It has lasted me through all this time without a major hitch. The only problem is that I took a landing that I didn't expect to be so hard, ground the seat adjustments, and bent the handle bar. Quick fix. Now, my local shop has a
'10 Mongoose Otero Elite for $599. Perfect price range for a new bike! I tested rode it to compare with the $2999 Giant Trance they also had, and OBVIOUSLY they are going to be some better things with the Trance, most notably with its rear suspension design. The Otero felt real good compared to it. Looks good too!
Here it is: Mongoose |

My friends keep on telling me to not spend money on it, but they are also the ones have had more problems with their GT's in less than 1 year, than I have had in 6! So whatever they say goes in one ear, and out the other. I've been lurking around craiglist and ebay like a hawk, searching for something, but it's hard to trust something that has gone down to 1/3 of it's original price. Plus, my bike shop has been awesome throughout all these years. They throw parties for their customers, and hold track event's out at the Medina Off-Road track. They also have free lifetime adjustments and tire fixing.

Can someone please chime in?! I'm going crazy here. I obviously want the best I can get for what I'm paying, so if there's something else out there, let me know.

It all depends what YOU are going to do with your bike, if you are just going to ride on bike paths, I would not spend more then $500. but, if you throw some jumps, like you have done, that bike will break and you will either injure yourself or have to put more $$$ into repairing it and by now I'm sure you are well aware that bike parts are not cheap...

I do A LOT of trail riding, mainly Cross Country trail ridding, so yes there are going to be some drops, jumps and some rock garden riding so I have to trust the bike I am riding, I could do some DH riding and I know this bike can handle it, because I went to Whistler BC. Canada, those who ride know of Whistler(a MTB mecca on the Canadian west coast) a few years back and I felt right at home...
I never competed, but I could of have had. I have ridden many a times with some olympic MTB riders, I was always behind, but not by far :)

This is my puppy
le-pitou-DeeLux-1.jpg

It's a 2003 Kona Dawg DeeLux, at the time it cost me $3,000.00 and it has been worth it.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
So, don't laugh, but I have a 1992 Schwinn Woodlands Hybrid. My parents bought it for me as a teenager and it sat in the shed for the better part of the last 15 years.

I cleaned it up, took it to a bike shop and had them tune it up and safety check it. I've had it back on the road for a few weeks now and have been riding it occasionally, usually going on 5-10 mile rides. I really enjoy it, but it does make me long for a better bike.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
I have several Mountain bikes - being in Colorado we have Lift Assisted downhill at several mountains. My favorites are Keystone and Winter Park. For that i have a 2009 Kona Stab Supreme.
For trail riding I have a 2009 Santa Cruz Nomad.
For dirt Jumping and Cross Country I have a 2006 Santa Cruz Blur LT - which my brother in law uses most of the time anyway. The Nomad does a fine job for just about everything.
For going around town I have a K2 townie with a 3 gear electrical auto-shifter.
I also have a Felt niner pro frame that I got for cheap in a silent auction that I need to build up.

Attached are the 2 Santa Cruz bikes.

3956253142_dd91e8d4d0_z.jpg

Reaction score
I love mountain biking with a passion. I actually just picked up a new full suspension Specialized with hydrolic brakes and the whole nine. The best 3g's I have spent in a while! Im in florida and travel all over so if anyone who reads this is close to North/Central florida, let go riding!

IMG_0121.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
(27" iMac i5) (2011 15" MacBook Pro)
I ride an 09 Gary Fisher Cobia 29'er. I'm fortunate to have some nice trails near by.

cobia at samba (first ride).jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
So, don't laugh, but I have a 1992 Schwinn Woodlands Hybrid. My parents bought it for me as a teenager and it sat in the shed for the better part of the last 15 years.

I cleaned it up, took it to a bike shop and had them tune it up and safety check it. I've had it back on the road for a few weeks now and have been riding it occasionally, usually going on 5-10 mile rides. I really enjoy it, but it does make me long for a better bike.

'92...one of the years where Schwinn was noted for having some of the best bikes money could buy. Not so anymore.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
'92...one of the years where Schwinn was noted for having some of the best bikes money could buy. Not so anymore.

From what I understand, that was the last year that "Schwinn" was really "Schwinn", after that they sold the company and started making department store bikes.

This was definitely a "bike shop" grade bike. When I brought it in to have it serviced, the shop owner said it was definitely worth repairing rather than replacing, so that comforted me a bit. It's got Shimano components that seem to be of decent quality (it's a 21-speed) and a Reynolds 500 Chromoly frame (it's surprisingly light for not being aluminium) and 26" Aluminum rims. So, I guess it's not half bad.

P1000008.JPG

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM
I've got a touring frame that I commute on all the time, and then a mountain bike that I hit the trails with. The touring bike is a fuji touring bike ('09) with some modifications I have made on my own. Here's a stock photo:
19397a.png
The mountain bike is a brand new Gary Fisher Wahoo:
garyfisher_wahoo_2011.jpg

Lots of great places to ride here. Portland, OR is an extremely bike friendly city! In fact, one of the city's slogans is "Welcome to Portland, grab a bike!"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
A Stumpy 29er
DSC_0219a.jpg

and a Roubaix
SNPRoubaix.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Finally got it! :)

Just got my new baby! SO happy I picked this over the others! Test rode MANY in the same rice range, and there wasn't anything that I liked as much, or rode as better. I LOVE IT!:)
2010 Mongoose Otero Elite
IMG_0595.jpg
yep, thats a go-kart(not put together) behind it.
I'm going for a ride.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Trek 7300 Hybrid has been with me for several years not a bad way to ride through my neighborhood and the Bayou has new bike trails close by.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I have a Trek 4300 mountain bike I bought a few years ago. Finally been riding it some back and forth to work several times already this year. Wish the weather would stay nicer instead of all this rain.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Been working on my bike. Took it apart, and put it back together. Replaced some screws, and stuff. New computer, softer seat(from old bike), lights and carbon fiber light bar, and sand-blasted the pedals and grinding a groove on the nobs to make them more slip resistant. Already put ~130 miles in 1 week.
20110721-km1sw7nd1mg1jix6fau85t1h9b.jpg

20110721-n7q4qf9ybtw9dmk9cd29ghfie3.jpg

20110721-genxm3781cnedq7t79dy3ad9ap.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27-inch 2020 iMac; 3.8GHz 8-core Intel Core i7 processor; 32GB RAM; Radeon Pro 5500 XT; 2 TB SSD
My two road bikes are a Litespeed Classic and a Specialized Allez:

LitespeedClassic2.jpg

Specialized1.jpg

I need to get out and ride more.

Mark

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.