Dreamweaver CS4

Reaction score
I recently got Dreamweaver CS4 and trying to set up an ACTUAL good looking webpage that actually looks like one and not just someone putting a ****** half-assed looking site is quite complicated for a newbie.

I decided that since its just for personal use, I will use a template, unfortunately a lot of templates are tacky looking and not worth it. I came across a site that had some beautiful templates and it explains how important it is to use Dreamweaver templates, not any other html templates, etc.

Anyways, I find a great template and it comes with an .html file and a .dwt file. No matter which one I use and save, it always turns my new file into a .dwt file.

How do I use a template so I can actually use it and post it online and not just have it as a .dwt file?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Have you tried File -> Save as Template?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz, 13-inch, 4Gb Ram, 250 HD with 1TB External, 16GB Iphone 3GS
you need to apply template to the page, this will apply the template to the page you need, and keep the extension of html

Step 1: Once you have created a page which will the same structure as the template all you need to do is, Go to Modify/Template/Apply Template to page

Step 2: Once you have applied the specified template to the page you will see a window 'Choose editable region for orphaned content', choose the editable region that you want the content to go into and click on OK. You will see that the template is in yellow and cannot be edited. The only region that is editable is the editable region you have specified in the template.
Note: You can apply the template before writing any content or after it. If you do it after writing content you need to choose an editable region where the content will go.

also remember you change your template you need to update it

good luck!!!

OP
D
Reaction score
the template is from:
"http://www.justdreamweaver.com/dreamweaver-templates.html"

Anybody know of a better place for nicely designed layouts?

the template I want to copy is "horsepower".

I tried what Larry Bird told me and it just scrambled my page up! I am not very good at this I am starting to gather, lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz, 13-inch, 4Gb Ram, 250 HD with 1TB External, 16GB Iphone 3GS
dbobola22, what id it scrabble up?

the only reason i can think off it that, you have information where the template it. the template is only for common areas... have you made certain areas? editable regions?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.