MSN Messenger - alternative Setups?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini G4 1.25ghz 1gb Ram
I have MSN messenger open all the time (for a variety of reasons this is my IM network of choice, so don't want to provoke an msn Vs iChat row!) and was just wondering if there was any apps or pluggins that would allow me to alter the appearance of MSN.

My main nag is that it really annoys me having the floating MSN window open all the time taking up precious screen real-estate, is there any way I could perhaps get MSN to operate from the menu bar etc?

Reaction score
umm... you can't change the look, but i recommend you get adium for chatting. it works with msn (better than msn messenger for mac, i find) and you can skin it, change how the conversation windows look, and it overall has a nice appeal. msn messenger for mac is a really crapy version... it's rarely updated and doesn't have features that you would excpect in an IM app. Unless you want to keep the look of msn messenger, i suggest getting another client.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
you can change adiums look, a little.

Reaction score
really it's the whole thing, but overall, its the shape of the contact list, and the colour/theme...

Reaction score
i will only use msn messenger aswel because ichat and adium are no better in my opinion. But it's still lacking compared to the windows version.. No webcam and no talking whilst appearing offline.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
There is a plugin for Adium called Adium Xtra that allows you to use webcam through a web-page interface.

Just FYI, I haven't tried it myself.

Brian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
Use Adium. It runs on the MSN network, and it more customizable than MSN Messenger. It also can interact with AIM and a few others, so if you've got one or two people that use the other messengers you can seamlessly talk to all of them with one program.

Reaction score
Hi guys, I am new to mac. Does adium works similar to Window MSN? Had no idea abt it as I wanted to try it but when I tried downloading from the web, it sound how said that image is not mounted.

What is the reason for that?

many thanks for the guidance.

cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi guys, I am new to mac. Does adium works similar to Window MSN? Had no idea abt it as I wanted to try it but when I tried downloading from the web, it sound how said that image is not mounted.

What is the reason for that?

many thanks for the guidance.

cheers

Adium is a messenger program that can interact with both AOL's instant messenger clients and MSN's instant messenger clients (basically two programs wrapped into one).

I don't understand what you're asking about image being mounted. You should download the file, double-click it to uncompress it, double-click the newly created file to mount it, and then copy the application Adium from newly created folder into your applications folder.

Reaction score
Adium is a messenger program that can interact with both AOL's instant messenger clients and MSN's instant messenger clients (basically two programs wrapped into one).

I don't understand what you're asking about image being mounted. You should download the file, double-click it to uncompress it, double-click the newly created file to mount it, and then copy the application Adium from newly created folder into your applications folder.

When I downloaded the adium from the web, after it had finished the downloading, it appear that it is not mount.

I used my PC to download and transfer the .dmg to mac. It again appear this:" No mountable file system"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I used my PC to download and transfer the .dmg to mac. It again appear this:" No mountable file system"

Are you downloading an OSX version?

Reaction score
and templates

umm... you can't change the look, but i recommend you get adium for chatting. it works with msn (better than msn messenger for mac, i find) and you can skin it, change how the conversation windows look, and it overall has a nice appeal. msn messenger for mac is a really crapy version... it's rarely updated and doesn't have features that you would excpect in an IM app. Unless you want to keep the look of msn messenger, i suggest getting another client.

even by editing templates ?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.