WD External Harddrive to replace the internal.

Reaction score
Hi folks

I have a 2.16Ghz Macbook. I got given a WD External Elements 320gig Harddrive 2.5inch and I was wondering whether I could replace my current 150 gig drive in my macbook.

Does anyone know what is actually in these external drives and are they good enough to replace a macbook harddrive with? I can't seem to find out anything about the actual drive inside.

WD Elements Portable 320 GB USB 2.0 Hard Drives ( WDE1MSBK3200 )

Thanks alot folks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 15" / 2.6GHz / 16GB / 512GB
Are you thinking about removing the drive from the actual casing and put it in your MacBook?

It would probably work. Cant seem to find anything about the drives RPM on that site you linked to though ...

It is probably just a standard 2.5-Inch SATA drive in that casing.

OP
F
Reaction score
yeah I am.

Just contemplating whether or not I should just sell it and buy a scorpio...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 15" / 2.6GHz / 16GB / 512GB
The scorpio is a really good drive, I assume you would be more satisfied with that one in your MacBook.

The drive you have now might be a 5400 rpm drive too, so it might be alittle bit slow.

Its your call :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, iPad 2 64, 2 x iPod Touch, MBA, 2 x iPhone 3g
If you search my posts you'll find quite a lot about the hard drive replacement - I'm led to believe it's easier to change the internal hdd in a Macbook.

I'm running a 5400 rpm WDC WD5000BEVT (500 Gb) drive which is virtually silent appears to have no noticeable difference to the battery life. I'd recommend it without hesitation.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.