MacBook Pro Memory

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello all

Need assistance with the memory on my Mac Book Pro. Well I've been downloading music and whatz going on is that I got 7.1 GB of mem left on the hard drive. I checked it by opening up a new finder window and it states what I got left on the bottom of that new finder window. I had 30 GB but when I had downloaded a rar. file it took up a lot of the memory. The worst part is that I can't even find the file which I had downloaded. I know that file took up a bunch of my disk space. My question is there any way I can check what's taking up my memory on the hard drive.

Thanks a bunch

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
1st a couple of FYI's:
This has nothing to do with memory. That area where data is stored on a hard drive is referred to as "space". Memory has a whole different meaning and has nothing to do with how much free "space", used "space" or the total "space" available on your hard drive.

Also, you should put your Mac specs in your profile so that folks aren't needing to ask you what they are when you need help. To do this go to the Profile link at the top of the page, then to Edit Profile on the left side. Scroll all the way to the bottom and enter your Mac specs there. Ex. MBP, 10.5.7, C2D 2.4, 256MB, 2GB, 250GB (Which mac, version of the OS, processor, video memory, amount of RAM - this is your memory by the way, hard drive size)

On to your problem.

If you are downloading using Safari, then it will be auto downloading into your downloads folder unless you have changed it. If you have changed it and don't remember where you've changed it to, open up Safari Preferences and look on the General tab to find the location you have set.

If you are using some P2P application, then you need to check in that applications preferences to see where it's download location is set to.
Ex. In Vuze this would be found in Vuze / Preferences / Files.

As for checking what is taking up space on your hard drive, if you've been doing a lot of P2P downloading, well my money goes that's where your space is being eaten up.

There are a couple apps that will show you how your disk space is being used - WhatSize or Disk Inventory X.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.