Coming from .NET

Reaction score
I am beginning to develop in XCode. I have written a Hello World. That's it.

In .NET I use a composite application design, MVC of course, which allows various views to publish messages to the 'ether' and have any other view listen without having to know about each other. Like yelling fire in a cinema. You don't care, or know, about those who listen.

Is this kind of pub-sub available in a framework, or natively ?

Ian

OP
I
Reaction score
Newbie: Coming from .NET (Local Database)

In .NET I would often use Microsoft Access and the JET database engine in my applications.

What would I use on the Mac when I need to be able to have simple database with simple queries.

Is SQLite often used?

OP
I
Reaction score
Newbie: Coming from .NET (HTML rendering in an App?)

In .NET I use the COM object that runs Internet Explorer and is on all PCs as the rendering agent for the HTML which my applications produce. It allows me to capture clicks, context menus etc in the app.

Is there such an HTML rendering component in XCode which I could use to display HTML text, capture/cancel link clicks etc?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
1. Sounds like notifications. Since when should your view objects be communicating with each other. That is what the controller is for.
2. SQLite is included. For OS X and the newer iPhone OS 3.0, look into CoreData.
3. The same engine used in Safari. But why when you have Interface Builder to build the interface.

I think you need to learn Cocoa from the ground up so you can make your own comparisons and understand how to find those answers. Surprisingly the Stanford iPhone Programming course available via iTunes U is a good primer to many Cocoa concepts. The downloads include video of the classes and the PDFs. They also had a Cocoa Programming course last year, but no video for it. A good book is "Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X" by Aaron Hillegass. I'm assuming you have Leopard, so you would want the third edition of that book.

A good online source for introduction stuff is CocoaDevCentral.

Search this forum and you'll find other suggestions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
For some comparisons to .Net development, you should review some entries here by an experienced .Net developer.

Here are some hilights of his thoughts from a session he did at a WWDC as recalled by an attending person.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3. #import <WebKit/WebView.h>

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.