• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Not having a good mac experience

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I apologise for the Mac /Apple thing, I have it now, I have a Mac made by Apple. As I said all the advertising and labeling of my Mac Air S.S.D. states 128 gigs but on turning it on and looking in the system, two capacity figures are quoted 113 gigs and 112.7 gigs. Space available with the OX 10.5 system installed 93 gigs. This was before I added a single thing to this machine and was the reason for my very first post on this forum. I have no idea if this huge difference is in anyway caused by the hard drive being solid state. I would like to know as I am sure other would others given that these drives are expected to be more common. (Mac laptops,I feel cheated)

We have REPEATEDLY explained the discrepancy to you. REPEATEDLY! I'm convinced more than ever you are just trolling. Ta ta.

OP
C
Reaction score
I have just spoken to the Apple service agent who has told me he requested a new ilife 09 disc for me but was told as that is not a part so he cannot order it, he offered me his case number and suggested I contact Apple directly myself with regard to a replacement. It would have helped if he had told me this when he just had one of his staff phone me and tell me Apple had refused to replace it.
On the Applecare pack he was apologetic and said he has had my pack for some time and will investigate as to why is staff did not email to tell me of its arrival, things are looking up, I may have it today if I can find the time to go ashore and pick it up.
Going back to the the hard drive capacity thing which seems to be annoying this beachliving person. I have listened to all that has been said and I have used the provided calculator and done the math and it still does not explain a drop from 128gigs to 113 gigs, as one learned person said it should be around 119 gigs. I am aware that talking about it will not change it but if it is the case that these new ssd drives suffer from even more shrinkage than the standard calculations for normal drives should we not be made aware of this?.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I have just spoken to the Apple service agent who has told me he requested a new ilife 09 disc for me but was told as that is not a part so he cannot order it, he offered me his case number and suggested I contact Apple directly myself with regard to a replacement. It would have helped if he had told me this when he just had one of his staff phone me and tell me Apple had refused to replace it.

Keep in mind that you're not actually talking to an Apple employee - you're talking to an independent reseller. If you were at an Apple Store, it would absolutely be a different experience and your issues probably would have been resolved in a single visit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
Is the 119GB stated including any iWork / iLife software? I doubt it would be. If so, have you got any of these programmes installed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
BTW -- I find it disturbing how many people referring to the difference between STATED capacity and ACTUAL capacity a "lie." It's NOT a lie. In fact, I've yet to get a hard drive whose documentation (or even box) doesn't disclaim that the actual capacity can vary.

The fact is, no matter what, a hard drive is NOT going to have exactly the capacity advertised. Are they lying? No...if it says 120 GB, then...it really IS 120 GB...raw, before any kind of formatting and partitioning. Partitioning takes up space. Formatting takes even more space. And the bigger the advertised size, the bigger the difference between advertised and actual size. Also, all drives have "bad" blocks that, for whatever reason, are unusable, so that too will take away from the size.

And of course, CAN they sell drives with an accurate capacity advertised? Nope: depends on how it's partitioned and how it's formatted. And how many blocks on the medium go bad.

And you know what? Same thing happened with floppy disks, too. And because their storage capacities were so small, you pretty much got the same exact sizes after formatting: Microsoft-formatted DSHD disks had 1.44MB while DSDD had 720kb; Mac-formatted DSHD disks had 1.6MB, while DSDD had 800kb; Amiga-formatted DSHD had 1.76MB, DSDD had 880kb. But the packaging often said "1MB" for capacity for DSDD, "2MB" for DSHD -- because that's how much storage space was built into the medium; what you actually got depended on how the disk was formatted.

OP
C
Reaction score
This is all very interesting, I am learning all sorts of things like formatting is a factor. My interest lies in finding out why when I apply the math I have been quoted my 128 gig drive should be in the region of 119 gig but it is not, it is 113 gig , a big difference, would the formatting of a ssd drive account for this. The 113 gig is the capacity stated by the Mac. After the OS was installed it was reduced to 93 gigs and now with my various programs installed is around 80 gigs. Does formatting reduce the capacity by 15 gigs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BTW -- I find it disturbing how many people referring to the difference between STATED capacity and ACTUAL capacity a "lie." It's NOT a lie. In fact, I've yet to get a hard drive whose documentation (or even box) doesn't disclaim that the actual capacity can vary.

The fact is, no matter what, a hard drive is NOT going to have exactly the capacity advertised. Are they lying? No...if it says 120 GB, then...it really IS 120 GB...raw, before any kind of formatting and partitioning. Partitioning takes up space. Formatting takes even more space. And the bigger the advertised size, the bigger the difference between advertised and actual size. Also, all drives have "bad" blocks that, for whatever reason, are unusable, so that too will take away from the size.

And of course, CAN they sell drives with an accurate capacity advertised? Nope: depends on how it's partitioned and how it's formatted. And how many blocks on the medium go bad.

And you know what? Same thing happened with floppy disks, too. And because their storage capacities were so small, you pretty much got the same exact sizes after formatting: Microsoft-formatted DSHD disks had 1.44MB while DSDD had 720kb; Mac-formatted DSHD disks had 1.6MB, while DSDD had 800kb; Amiga-formatted DSHD had 1.76MB, DSDD had 880kb. But the packaging often said "1MB" for capacity for DSDD, "2MB" for DSHD -- because that's how much storage space was built into the medium; what you actually got depended on how the disk was formatted.

You are completely wrong. It is a lie. Or a manipulation of the truth. Read the link I provided earlier. For marketing purposes, gigabyte has been defined as being 1 billion bytes. This definition has been contrived using "base 10" on which the metric system is based. But computers do NOT USE BASE 10! They use "base 2". And in binary language, a kilobyte is 1024 bytes (not 1000 bytes as the common person thinks because they think metric), and a gigabyte is 1073741824 bytes. This is how computers read it. This is ALWAYS how computers will read it (so long they are based on the binary system). This whole "formatted vs non-formatted capacity" argument is utter nonsense, or at the least blow way out of proportion to its actual effect.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
My interest lies in finding out why...

Go into Disk Utility, click on the drive (not the indented drive name), click on the Partition button to the right. Does it look like you have a second partition? The "Total Capacity" is yet again stated at the bottom.

I'm sure am curious about this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I just found this Apple note, "MacBook Pro Solid State Drive Media Capacity". It does not say why you loose more with an SSD drive, just that you got what Apple expected you to get.

This thread in the Apple discussion forums had a similar complaint and also had no resolution to the question.

Search for this line "The SSD should have 128GiB" in this thread over at macintouch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
Thank you -- I DID read your link. And after my personal and professional experiences and my college studies going back 15 years before that paragraph was written, I stand by what I posted. The "one billion bytes = one gigabyte" vs "1,073,741,824 bytes = one gigabyte argument, of course, only partially contributes to the discrepancy. Again - partition tables, formatting, and bad blocks add to it as well. Trust me -- this discrepancy has been going on LONG before the IEC's 1998 definition.

Even if the IEC's definition were the ONLY factor, I wouldn't exactly call it a lie, considering it's going by a particular standard.

Kinda like how someone comes up to you in Wilmington and says, "I'm from Chicago" -- but that person is really from Wilmette, Illinois. Are you going to call that person a liar, or are you going to figure that the person just gave you the nearest major city in the general area so that you wouldn't need an explanation as to where Wilmette is? That's how I see it, at least...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Again - partition tables, formatting, and bad blocks add to it as well. Trust me -- this discrepancy has been going on LONG before the IEC's 1998 definition.
Excepting possible bad blocks, those formatting acts do not take up that much space. If I bought a drive with 6GB of bad blocks I'd return it. That is an unacceptable failure rate waiting to bite you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you -- I DID read your link. And after my personal and professional experiences and my college studies going back 15 years before that paragraph was written, I stand by what I posted. The "one billion bytes = one gigabyte" vs "1,073,741,824 bytes = one gigabyte argument, of course, only partially contributes to the discrepancy. Again - partition tables, formatting, and bad blocks add to it as well. Trust me -- this discrepancy has been going on LONG before the IEC's 1998 definition.

It sounds to me like your experiences and studies are 15 years out of date. Show me one credible source saying this discrepancy is solely due to formatting, or even mostly so. Just one.

Even if the IEC's definition were the ONLY factor, I wouldn't exactly call it a lie, considering it's going by a particular standard.

It IS a lie because using a system of measurement that has absolutely no bearing on how a computer actually measures things is wholly misleading. The fact that the IEC has legitimized this deception doesn't make it any less of a lie. I may as well say driving at 100 kilometers per hour is the same as driving at 100 kilomiles per hour. Better yet... the same as driving at 100 kilograms per hour.

OP
C
Reaction score
I seem to have wandered into the Gordian Temple and said, "How do you untie that!" I have come to the conclusion that no one can give me the answer and that it really does not matter that much, a bit like the first time you see your partner naked and things are smaller than you imagined! I am pulling out of the forum, my engine parts have arrived and I will be out at sea very soon where all this is irrelevant. To those who are interested I got my extended Apple care, it is the Latin America and Caribbean version so it did not come with the tech tool disc. I was told I could down load that once I had registered my warranty but of course I can't as even when I log onto the Latin American site where my registration resides when I try to download the Tech tools deluxe download I am transferred to the main US site which has no knowledge of my paid up status and refuses to play!
Bill, Bill, tell me about this new 7 system..... just joking guys... I am putting my lovely Air into its hard, air tight, waterproof, Pelican case and forgetting about it for a month. When I get to the UK I will find a Apple shop and a Mac genius and ruin his day. Bye for now.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
God speed, Captain. Glad you were able to get the warranty issue straightened out. Hopefully by the time you reach your next port of call, we'll have this whole issue worked out :)

I think most of the controversy lies in the lack of consensus amongst the drive manufacturers and computer manufacturers. Naturally, if they can't agree, none of the pundits here will be able to either :) Anyway, I wish you safe trip and hope to see you back here again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.