Console hanging / Terminal strangeness

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20
I took my MBP to 10.5.7 after a couple of weeks of hesitancy. All was fine until a couple of days ago and now I have 2 major utility issues:

1. Console hangs when I open it and practically hangs the entire system. If I wait for a LONG time (10 - 15 mins) it eventually shows some console messages but from Activity Monitor I still see it in hang state)
2. Terminal is slow to return a prompt....if I start terminal I get a blank screen with no prompt for 10 - 15 secs. After that time I eventually get a prompt back

I have a SuperDuoper backup (of 10.5.7) which I can boot to. I have checked and the backup does not have any of the issues with Console and Terminal that my main image does. I could restore from my backup although it is a few days old and I will lose some document edits and folder organisation I have done in the mean time (think I might be able to get around that by offloading all of the documents to a share first and then doing the restore and after the restore moving the documents back) but was wondering if there might be a more graceful way to reload Terminal and Console than this ? Is there a plist file I can remove and reinitialise for each ?

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20
I found the plists in my ~/Library/Preferences/

I moved them to desktop / restarted

Opened Terminal - still took around 30 secs to give a prompt and then came back with a default Terminal so I moved the plist back from Desktop and restored my preferred settings (but should not take 30 secs to give a command prompt)

Opened Console and again it hung and I had to Force Quit from Activity Monitor and I moved the plist back from Deskto

I can feel a Genius Bar calling but wondering whether the following might work:

1. Get a good Timemachine image of my Documents folder in current state
2. Restore from the good Superduper image I have
3. Restore the Documents from the Timemachine backup

My concern is that restoring the Superduper backup could invalidate the Timemachine archive (since the archive came from effectively another older system) and will therefore not allow me to recover the Documents folder in it's present state so I am inclined towards a simple copy of the Documents folder / a restore of my system from Superduper backup and a copy back of the Documents folder

Thoughts ?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I use the restore function of Carbon Copy Cloner in the same way you're proposing to restore your system with SuperDuper. Simply make a copy of your changed documents and any email messages that are new and then restore the SuperDuper image.

I did that very thing last night when an upgrade to Flip4Mac went maverick on me and wiped out the capability that I once had to stream WMV videos. Restoring my backup image returned things to normal once more.

Keep Time Machine out of it otherwise you may accidently overwrite data.

Regards.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20
Yeah I am looking as if that will be my way forward....just eliminating all options before I go that way as it wont be fast....since last night under advice from Shirt Pocket support I have:

1. Sampled Console from Activity Monitor when it hangs to see if it tells me anything...attached and frankly outside my understanding !
2. Booted to my SD Backup Image and Repaired Permissions on my HDD (seemed to be a success)
3. Restarted from my original HDD and I then found that the repair had reset my Dock to default but not fixed either of the issues I have

Will wait another couple of days / take no more backups and then go the route you are suggesting - I have 18G in my Documents folder so wont be too hard to copy off and back again via a LaCie Firewire

View attachment Sample of Console.txt

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20
In the end I resolved this by:

1. Booting from SD backup
2. Repair disc and disc permissions
3. Restart from HDD

Both issues seem to be resolved

Qudos to Shirtpocket for their help !

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.