Always boots into Windows XP

Reaction score
iMac, Bootcamp installed.
Need to press Option to get the choice to boot in either Mac or in XP Professional.

A stupid choice I made (in hindsight), was to set it to boot automatically in XP - and if I need the Mac, press the Option key to select it. Who would have imagined the problem below ...

You may have guessed the problem: even though I still press the Option key as I have done countless times in the past, the computer now ALWAYS boots in XP. Not sure what happened, but there is no place where I can select to see the Mac. So all I now have is a standalone PC

The Option key itself seems to be functioning: I tried Ctrl-Option-Delete and it does bring up the Windows Task Manager.

Any ideas - thanks a lot!
Adrian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New iMac 20" Leopard vs. 10.5.7
Hi there!

Boot up into Mac OS X, however possible, then log in. Open up System Preferences, and click on "Startup Disk." Click the little unlock icon in the bottom left hand corner (if there is one) and then select the Mac Hard Drive Icon. Close System Pref. It should be OK now. Restart and try again.

Regards.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You may have guessed the problem: even though I still press the Option key as I have done countless times in the past, the computer now ALWAYS boots in XP. Not sure what happened, but there is no place where I can select to see the Mac. So all I now have is a standalone PC

The Option key itself seems to be functioning: I tried Ctrl-Option-Delete and it does bring up the Windows Task Manager.

When in XP, open Control Panel, Boot Camp. From there you can select to startup in OS X rather than XP. If your machine refuses to start in OS X even after that, it might indicate a problem on the OS X side. Post back if that's the case and we can go from there.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.