Word 2008: spacing issue (not the 10 pt paragraph problem)

Reaction score
Thanks for all the informative help I've found on this forum.

I have a peculiar problem. A friend created a document in Word 2008. I opened it in my (newly installed) version of Word 2008 just now and the line spacing is double. I'm not talking about the spacing after the paragraphs. I've read about the 10 pt default and fixed that.

I had the same problem with her documents a few days ago when I opened them in Word X.

Documents created in Word 2004 are fine when I open them in Word 2008.

This is making me think that maybe there's something in her version of Word 2008 that is causing this to happen. The line spacing appears single on her computer, but double on mine.

In the Formatting Palette, the Line Spacing is single and the Paragraph Spacing After is 0. But it doesn't display that way.

Thanks for any ideas!

Joe

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
This can happen if she's using a different default style than you are. Ask her which style she's using to write the document.

Different styles will apply different line spacing, and, when you select "Format Paragraph" may show up as 0 point spacing after, and single line.

This has always been one of my pet peeves about Word. The same problem occurs with mixed documents transferred between users of Office 2007 Word in Windows.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.