Is there a way to make Mac OSX search aliases?

Reaction score
This is a bit hard to explain without visuals, but I'm going to do my best.

Suppose I have a folder called "Animals" and a folder called "Things I Like".

Inside the "Things I Like" folder is a folder called "Dogs".

Inside the "Animals" folder is an alias to the "Dogs" folder.

Also suppose the "Dogs" folder contains a file called "Poodles.jpg" So I have:

Things I Like-->Dogs-->Poodles.jpg
Animals-->Alias to Dogs-->Poodles.jpg

When I search the "Dogs" folder, it finds "Poodles.jpg". However, when I search the "Animals" folder, it does NOT find "Poodles.jpg".

Is there a way to make it find the file when searching "Animals" as well. In other words, can I make it search a folder AND any folders that there is an alias to?

I hope I explained that coherently. It's a bit hard to put into words.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Aliases aren't folders, they're files (sort of). So, when searching, you can't search a folder with aliases and expect to find where those aliases point.

Perhaps this would be an interesting read.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I'm not sure how Spotlight or the Finder handles that case. It may be that it recognizes that you have found the same file via a different path and simply not list it, assuming both top levels are below an initial search path. My limited experiment got me no where actually.

It would be possible to write a unix script to do what you want. That would take a lot of work. Hint; look at the mdls command for starters.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.