Sound Problem

Reaction score
My sound doesn't work on my G3 imac. I think the built in sound card is bad. What external USB sound card will work. I tried a Griffin iMic and it didn't work.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There are plenty of USB sound cards out there that are advertised to work on a Mac. Unfortunately, it seems none of them state specifically which Mac they'll work with. :( I would check on eBay - usually you can email the seller and find out if the particular card they're selling will work with your G3.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
If you have a hardware fault and it's not software related, your cheapest option would be to pickup another G3 iMac, either free via Freecycle or for peanuts elsewhere, then swap over your hard drive. You'll see very little support for G3 based Macs now. Also a you'll be able to exchange your 350 MHz iMac for a faster faster model with Firewire, useful when these Macs don't have USB2.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.