External DVD Burners

D

DVD Guy

I am VERY happy with my new (used) iMac G4 but could only get it with a combo drive. Of course, now I want to burn DVDs. What external DVD burners do you recommend?

OP
K

Kokopelli

I'll second the LaCie D2. Great drive and burning from Apple apps is supported by the manufacturer with a firmware upgrade.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
yup, its cool, and very fast.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
can i daisy chain that to my external hard drive and ipod?
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I believe so.

OP
K

Kokopelli

Yes on the HD, probably on the iPod. Keep in mind that the daisy chained device won't be getting power from Firewire. I would get a FireWire hub and plug everything into that. That way you can charge/power your iPod from FW and not have to diconnect the external drives.

OP
D

DVD Guy

What is "daisy chain" and why would I want to do that instead of using a FireWire connection?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thats cool. someone needs to give me a copy of lightscribe f they buy that.;)

OP
C

code777

i need one so bad... and that Lightscribe, how does that work!? that is cool! must get one, yes yes - i'm sure it will be sold out for a while huh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yup, and you can get it cheaper than that, lacie has a clearance corner where they sell overstocked items at a discount.

OP
D

DVD Guy

I just remembered I have a DVD burner in my Sony PC so is there a way to create the file in either iDVD or iMovie and then burn it with my PC?

OP
K

Kokopelli

I have ordered one with LightScribe (well technically the office bought it for me, I own the one without already). Cool technology but the drives are not generally available yet. Ours is on back order for mid March. CD blanks for LightScribe are available but DVDs are not yet, so I would not expect to get immediate use out of that particular trick.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
DVD Guy said:
the first one looks good. I recommend waiting a week or 2 if opissible, they regularly
change that list and add better stuff, new stuff usually, that first one is reconditioned and has a 90 day warranty, the new ones I trhink come with a 2 year warranty.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.