Help with older iMac G3

Reaction score
Hi all! I've had this iMac just sitting around for years now and I decided to hook it up for my 8 year old daughter. How to I connect it to my PC's wireless network for internet (monitored of course)? Both USB ports are being used for keyboard and mouse so that leaves out a USB adapter. Yes, I know this thing is ancient, I think it's running Panther, but this is good enough for her first Mac. I could spend many evenings searching online, which I have some, but I was hoping to get help here. Promise to return with all my Mac questions, which there will be tons since I'm a long time PC person. Sorry. ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Most of the Mac keyboards i have come across have a USB conn on the keyboard for the mouse so that should free up one of your G3 USB sockets

OP
N
Reaction score
Ahhhh, see I'm using a PC keyboard and mouse until I find her the matching iMac ones on Ebay, lost them over the years somewhere. So, that will free up the much needed USB port then. I'm a big fan of DLink, been using them for my network needs for years, and I read that they support Macs but is there anything I should know before I buy one?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
One thing to think about is the type of USB port the iMac G3's have. They're usb 1.1 ports so the support a theoretical max of 12MB/s

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, Mac Mini, 2 Classic Ipod's, and an old Imac
I also have an iMac G3 set up for my 8 year old son. I have an airport card in it, and to be honest, for as old as it is, the internet connection is not that slow. It's plenty fast enough for him. You might want to look into that, opposed to the usb adapter. Might be a little faster.

OP
N
Reaction score
Do these already have airport cards in them how do you install? And yes the internet connection is fast, I hooked my lan directly to it to download updates and it is plenty fast for my daughter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Some have them pre installed and some don't. You can find out if yours does by going to Apple/About this Mac/More/ and then under Network there will be an airport option. If there's not one already installed, there is a small slot in the back of the iMac. Open it up, and the airport card fits right in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In fact you need one of the older Airport cards the 802.11b jobby as well as an adaptor which plugs into upper rear of iMac G3 - you can do it thru door on the top if you are a double jointed midget - and you plug the aerial lead into it as well. The lead is usually tucked into a plastic device that often floats around in that area.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good call Collin. Mine cam with it, so I've never had to install one. I just opened it up an saw it.

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I knew I came to the right place. Unfortunately, this iMac does not have one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They do come up from time to time on auction sites - keep looking.

OP
N
Reaction score
Ok, need more help. I've found a guide to install the airport card but I can't get inside the machine. They are talking about an access door but there is NO access door anywhere on this machine. Am I missing something here?:Oops:

*edit* this thing has no slot for airport card, gonna have to try the USB adapter

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
Ok, what colour and speed is the cpu? If its 333Mhz or lower there was no option to install an airport card. To open these macs up, there's a screw behind a little handle. its a quite long screw. The once inside there are two more screws that are much smaller. But before you pull up on the clear plastic tab you would have to unscrew the video cord and both black plastic connectors.

But thats only useful if you would be interested in upping the RAM. (Which is under a cage. And on the CPU card)

OP
N
Reaction score
Ok, what colour and speed is the cpu? If its 333Mhz or lower there was no option to install an airport card. To open these macs up, there's a screw behind a little handle. its a quite long screw. The once inside there are two more screws that are much smaller. But before you pull up on the clear plastic tab you would have to unscrew the video cord and both black plastic connectors.

But thats only useful if you would be interested in upping the RAM. (Which is under a cage. And on the CPU card)

It's the red 266mhz so there is no option for a card. I think I'll give this one to my 5 year old and get my 8 year old a G4 6.1.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
What OS version does it have on it?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.